Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing near Skytrain?  (Read 13230 times)

minwin12

Fishing near Skytrain?
« on: June 24, 2014, 05:06:10 PM »

Hey guys and gals.
Was just wondering if anyone knows if any good fishing can be done that is accessible by skytrain transit?
I'm on disability and have no access to a car and was wondering if anyone is experienced with fishing in areas which have Skytrains near them so that I can just fish without hassling friends for rides.
I live in North Burnaby and some points of interest are the Sperling-Burnaby Lake station and Bridgeport station.

Anyone know if Burnaby Lake is still fishable and what species are there?
Bridgeport is near River road which parallels the Fraser so I was wondering if there were spots near there.

thanks in advance

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Fishing near Skytrain?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:42:07 PM »

If you go across the highway from burnaby lake there is deer lake that is full of small bass.

minwin12

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »

yeah i've been there a couple of times early after sunbreak. there definitely is small bass there but I was hoping for somewhere with more variety of fish types and larger species.
I don't catch to keep anything unless it's salmon and even then I'd still stay to fish salmon after my limit for the fight and fun and then release them after as I usually fish to kill time and not usually for food.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »

Hastings Park near the PNE has been stocked with trout the last couple years.  Definitely transit accessible.

http://www.gofishbc.com/where-to-fish/city-fishing/lower-mainland-lakes.aspx

Check out this page for urban fisheries.

minwin12

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 02:26:12 PM »

sounds great
thanks Cutt!

i'll check it out.

Burbot

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »

In the fall you could try the Brunette river near Braid station.

Sucks trout lake is a mess as that is close to skytrain. Although you should still be able to catch carp and crappie in there and who knows maybe there is an odd trout left in there.

minwin12

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 03:20:44 AM »

I was looking up youtube videos for Hastings Park Lake Sanctuary for more info and apparently there was controversy last year involving the death of a Duck due to improper disposal of fishing gear such as the Hook that was on the Duck's wing which eventually lead to it being euthanized. It looks like a great park to fish but if the sport is frowned upon there, I'd rather not have the locals in the area spit at me or glare hate in my direction ...

Thanks, I'll definitely check out the Brunette River come Fall but I need a summer fishing spot to kill time lol
I honestly didn't think Trout Lake had any more fish, but yes it is a mess and I probably won't be fishing there.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 03:42:18 AM »

Trout lake is loaded with cat fish

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 09:24:03 AM »

I caught a decent coho and a few sea runs at the mouth of the brunette.

Ambassador

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 11:04:57 AM »

I was looking up youtube videos for Hastings Park Lake Sanctuary for more info and apparently there was controversy last year involving the death of a Duck due to improper disposal of fishing gear such as the Hook that was on the Duck's wing which eventually lead to it being euthanized. It looks like a great park to fish but if the sport is frowned upon there, I'd rather not have the locals in the area spit at me or glare hate in my direction ...
Don't let that stop you from fishing there. It is a great little lake with quality filtration and stocked fish meant for people just like you (mentioned you were on disability) and the rest of the community to enjoy. Stick to the dock and don't go wading through the reeds and you will be fine  ;).
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »

The duck issue was blown up in the media by a pretty specific local group, which was already having a dispute with PNE on a separate issue. If you go down to the lake, you'll find that the floating dock is in fact rarely occupied and a rather pleasant environment to fish in. GoFishBC stations one of their staff with the rod loaning service at this lake from time to time.

minwin12

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »

thanks everyone for the info!
Trout Lake is very close to where my girlfriend lives as she walks her dog there all the time. I suppose i'll give it a try but I know nothing about catching catfish :P
any newbie tips?

thanks Rod! I'll give Hastings Park a try then.
It is pretty close to where I live so I suppose going there and scoping things out won't do too much harm.

losos

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »

yeah i've been there a couple of times early after sunbreak. there definitely is small bass there but I was hoping for somewhere with more variety of fish types and larger species.
I don't catch to keep anything unless it's salmon and even then I'd still stay to fish salmon after my limit for the fight and fun and then release them after as I usually fish to kill time and not usually for food.
I fully sympathize with your situation however according to fishing rules after you catch daily limit you should stop fishing. It doesn't matter whether you keep fish or not.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 07:44:58 PM »

I fully sympathize with your situation however according to fishing rules after you catch daily limit you should stop fishing. It doesn't matter whether you keep fish or not.

No, that particular regulation only applies to steelhead.

KarateKick

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 12:17:54 AM »

Hastings Park near the PNE has been stocked with trout the last couple years.  Definitely transit accessible.

Somehow I though it was a part of the PNE compound and I would have to pay to get in.  Can I just walk in from East Hastings?