Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for some advice.  (Read 2176 times)

W07F3

Looking for some advice.
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »

Hey people,

New guy to the site here. I live on north Vancouver Island last summer (I gave a brief intro in the general forum). After all the kick@$$ fishing I've had in the past year, I decided it was time to take fly fishing up again. The thought of hooking into some Salmon of a fly rod makes me giddy!

My gear,
Rod: Ross Worldwide Essence FC 4 piece 8wt, 9'
Reel: Dragonfly Kamloops GT 7/8

I have it set up right now for fresh water, and although a bit of overkill... it does the job and it's caught fish. It's been fun, and I'll most like buy a smaller setup next fall when Salmon season dies off.

So some questions before I get backing and line for my second spool. Now in regards to the bigger size fish I'll be going after. I've been doing some reading and I've seen everything suggesting 50-100 yards of backing. 50 yards being a common suggestion. Only 50 seems rather low to me. And line. That's next. At my current holes I've noticed the strike zone is surface to about 8 feet. This is my target for fishing with the fly rod. I need some suggestions on the type of line as well as flys. My mind goes straight to Bucktails. I'm not sure if that's something I could use or if theres a fly fishing variety. But I know I'd get strikes throwing it out there or trolling them. I'm just thinking about presentation. Which would bring me to my next question. I have no exp at all fly fishing saltwater. Yes, I can still cast. I retained that much from my childhood.

So yeah, kinda all over the place there, but if you feel you can add some insight into my saltwater quest your knowledge/exp would be greatly appreciated.

roseph

Re: Looking for some advice.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 04:54:33 PM »

Find a copy of Salt water flyfishing for pacific salmon by Barry Thornton. 

Second, I've never had a fish go that far into my backing but then I've yet to hook a chinook on the beach.  I would just fit as much as you can, 100-150yds is standard.

Most people I know who fish the beaches a lot use either a floating line or a clear sinking line.  For flies sparkly is usually good, sparse is also good.  But for flies most people have flies specific to which salmon they're targeting that day.

Castor

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »

Are you beach or boat fishing? What species are you going for? Beach fishing for coho I generally go with small sparse chartreuse or pink clousers for the most part. Haven't really targeted Chinook on fly myself so can't help ya there .
I'd fish that

W07F3

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciated. Mostly I'll be fishing from the beach and if I'm in a boat I'll only be fish the holes I'd normally beach fish at. Nothing like a bit more room and a full 360 degree of area to cast.

I'm going after Coho at these holes, but there is the occasional Chinook lugging around. The fishing is starting to get good up North Island. Caught two nice Chinook last Thursday on the down riggers. Not my favourite tasting salmon, so they met their demise in my Big Cheif.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 08:13:40 AM »

I fish a beach near my house with a full floating line and a small section of t-7 sinktip.When i fish coho(rarely)i use christmas trees,muddler minnows,wooly buggers etc.