Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunkwa Lake Report, May 1st 2014  (Read 2372 times)

Tunkwa Lake Resort

• Advertiser
  • Tunkwa Lake Resort
    • Tunkwa Lake Resort
Tunkwa Lake Report, May 1st 2014
« on: May 05, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »

Beautiful weather up here now, sunny and warm, but the breeze on the lake keeps it cooler on the water. Surface water temps range from 48 -55 depending on where-abouts on the lake you are. Trout can be seen moving/jumping all over. Fishing was very good today, for the anglers fishing over active fish. Anglers tucked into out of the wind spots reported poor success. Don't be afraid to set up on the wind blown points or shorelines, the fish will be where the food is being delivered to them!! Fishing off the shore continues to be good, again find wind blown spots with active fish showing themselves. Some of the best fishing can be had from the shore right now, often out fishing the boats!!( I fished for less then an hour off the resort dock on Monday afternoon during a break, and hooked trout on every cast!!)

Some good chironie hatches are happening on the lake today, but still all observed were smaller sized. Olive greens, and 'Chironomid Candy' patterns in size 14's produced fish for us, fished about 3' down over 4' of water, in the back of bays, where active fish could be seen moving/feeding. Overall, better success was had fishing leach patterns on a sink tip or slime line. Patrol-Car leaches and UV Pumpkinheads were the better producers. Had to fish through lots of smaller trout, but the better fish were there and showed themselves enough to keep it exciting. A great day to be on Tunkwa!

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Tunkwa Lake Report, May 1st 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:13:14 PM »

We were just up there Monday Tuesday.  Tough weather, but not horrible.

A couple of 10 fish days for me.  Once after dinner, 6-9:30pm.  Then again the next day from 10am to 1pm.  Didn't have to go far from the lodge.  Most were 1-2lbs.  A couple pushing 3 and one large one ~4lbs lost during netting. :'(  I wanted a recent hero shot, so I was pretty pissed.

Floating line with micro leeches drifting with tungsten swivel, with the wind worked for me (pumpkin head).

There was a mayfly hatch.  And some others in my party did well with chronies.

A great stay in a rustic cabin (as it is every year).