Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom rod or off the rack for a fly fishing? What reel?  (Read 5446 times)

Wool

Custom rod or off the rack for a fly fishing? What reel?
« on: May 13, 2014, 06:59:09 AM »

I've never fly fished, but, would like to start. What do you suggest? I will take the classes and understand the investment. Just want to stay in the rivers, no salt water. Thanks,

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Custom rod or off the rack for a fly fishing? What reel?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:24:36 AM »

--Buy after the casting classes..
--I go to store demo's all of the time and try different equipment. Never been to one that I haven't learned something.

--You will then have a better idea of what you want...the Rod will choose you.

Wool

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »

Store demos? I didn't know this. Do most guys end up getting one made?

I bothered lots of people regarding center pins and did well in the end.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »

Most people don't use custom fly rods. Custom centerpins are much more common since Sage is out of the gear rod business.
You need to find the characteristics of the rod that meet your casting style as you learn how to cast.
I recommend you make a couple thousand casts with several different rod styles before paying big $$ for a high end rod or a custom.

Wool

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »

How do you know where to start?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »

You first need to decide what type of fish you are going after. A 4wt or 5wt is good for trout in lakes or rivers but is massively underpowered for salmon or steelhead.
Once you decide, then I would suggest looking for a used rod in decent shape. Dragonfly, Amundson, lower priced Redington or TFO's would all be suitable starting points.
I see you inquired about the custom 5wt by Jack. That would likely be a suitable first rod (assuming the thread and epoxy are in good shape).
For trout pretty much any reel will do. It is mostly a line holder so it's personal preference what you start with. You don't need to spend a lot of money to be an effective fisher.
Spend money on a good floating line. SA Sharksin or Rio Gold will work excellent for 100's of trips.
After that it's about casting practice. Get help from someone who knows.

Wool

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 06:18:44 AM »

Your the best! Thanks.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 10:44:34 AM »

--Line is often overlooked. If you get a cheap line it will be harder to cast and less forgiving.
--A good casting dry line for the price is the SA headstart. It is shorter than standard lines (less cost) and has an exagerated head thus you do not need as much line in the air to load the rod and make a decent cast.
--I still use this line in the wind so it is not just a throw away line once you are able to cast.

--The reel is just a line holder...well maybe...however if you are using fine tippets or targeting larger fish the reel can make a significant difference. A lot of peole play the fish with the line rather than use the reel. My preferance is to get the fish on the reel as soon as possible. The reason... practice for when you get into larger fish. There is however nothing wrong with playing the fish with the line rather than with the reel. If you do not have a good reel it is likely preferable to play the fish with the line.

Wool

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 07:01:28 PM »

Thanks, I've been looking.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 04:05:59 PM »

--Let us know what you get. A good start is your closest specialty fly shop.