Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice For Rod & Reel For Sturgeon Fishing On The Shore.  (Read 12685 times)

Archer

Advice For Rod & Reel For Sturgeon Fishing On The Shore.
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:32:21 PM »

I am getting into Sturgeon fishing, falling in love FAST!!!!
My Abu Garcia C3 Baitcaster with a 10'6 medium salmon rod is "ok" to get started in low current, but I can only cast 6oz max without rod issues, even at that I have to be really careful.

I am thinking of going out to buy a heavier baitcaster rod for the Sturgeon, on a budget, any rod favorites in the $50-$80 range?? Then I can just swap the reel back and forth depending what I am doing, IE: BB/floss or spinner/spoon for salmon, and plunk a brick of lead & bait for Sturgeon.

I figure my baitcaster with 50lb braided can handle both.  Does anyone else use a baitcaster to sling heavy lead?  Is it a pain?  Nothing is worse then tieing up a nice heavy and $$ set up then backlashing and losing it all!

I have a new Shimano Sienna 4000FD on a trout rod.  I am considering using it with heavy line but I worry this reel won't handle a sturgeon with 50-100lb braided line on her.  I am thinking the drag won't hold the beast?  Its a good budget spin caster, has anyone gone heavy on a Shimano 4000 series?

Thanks for your advice!!

Rob

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
Re: Advice For Rod & Reel For Sturgeon Fishing On The Shore.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 05:12:14 PM »

Go with a Penn 320 or 330 and a 12foot Ugly stick ! Shore fishing it's better to have a longer rod , makes casting easier and easier on your arms fighting fish.

Archer

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:54:18 PM »

Ya, its a abu garcia 6500, VERY trusty, but I take your word for it re: drag. I am gunna scope out that Penn 320. Obviously if my abu garcia 6500 won't handle a sturg, forget the Sienna 4000  :o

1son

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:09:40 PM »

I would get a whole new set up for those dinos, your current gear isn't proper for those fish they get big and will just break your stuff. What you have now is just a drift fishing setup like the previous posters said look into the Penn series very affordable  and any where from a 8-10ft rod in the med/heavy with some backbone should suffice good luck out there.

Archer

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:33:47 PM »

Walmart (I know I know) has a Penn 320 combo with A 6'6 Penn Slammer heavy rod for $117, or $135 for the Penn 330 with the 6'6 slammer. The 1 piece rod get good ratings for all heavy fish.  Would this work from shore?  The price is right in the range I was hoping!

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:43:05 AM »

Your not going to be able to cast very far with a short because its not going to load up like a longer one will plus when you do get a  big fish on you will burn out before the fish will. Short rods are for boats longer rods for shore :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:46:02 AM by Rantalot »

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 07:20:51 AM »

I fish an 8 foot technium from shore. I may not be able to cast as far as those with a longer rod, but that doesnt stop me from catching lots of sturgeon. You just have to find the right place to fish.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »

Yes but the longer rod allows you to fish where ever with no issues :) and it's easier to chuck the heavier weights as well.

http://www.riverfishingbc.com/article1.php
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:51:07 AM by Rantalot »

Archer

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:46 AM »

EXCELLENT article Rantalot!

6'6 Slammer clear is a boat rod  ::)

I'll go look at this in Langley http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefront/fresh-saltwater-fishing/rod-reel-combos/magnum-sturgeon-combo/prod23987.html

There is a guy on craigslist at 107 & 132 in Surrey selling gear from home, cash deals, might check it out.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »

The magnum is a boat rid as well but like funeral said it will work but it will be hard to toss a heavier weight if need be.

Archer

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »

Good to know.  I went to Walmart on my lunch break, what a bunch of china crap! Some had fat back bone, but you could feel the cheap!
I need to hit up a proper shop. I just can't break the bank, but I am taking your advice and sticking to a 10ish foot heavy rod with a Penn 320-330.

Ohhhh I am SOOOOO jonesen to hit the river now!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!  ;D 

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 01:46:39 PM »

Where abouts are you located? I can send you some good starting spots that won't have a lot of people :)

Archer

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 03:41:05 PM »

NICE!
I am in Langley.  So far I found a rocky point about 1.8km past the entrance of Derby Reach Park, found it last summer when fishing Pinks but couldn't plunk enough weight for the current there, other guys there were landing nice size Sturgeons.  Also I fished off Poplar Bar last week but nothing, too shallow I think, or two hours was just not enough time.  Two Bit Bar just West of Poplar looked good as it was more into the actual River as oppose to the channel that Poplar is on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated  8)

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 04:40:39 PM »

2 Years ago i fouled a 4footer while pink fishing with 8 lb test.It just took me about an hour until i got it to shore.
But just that could have broken my rod easily if i didnt play it right.If im right i did see an "sturgeon combo"at army and navy but im no expert but it looked like a decent rod and reel.

MandF
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »

Berrys Bait often has deals on Sturgeon combos.

You will wreck your current reel if you keep using it.
Not a matter of if but when.