Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Here They Go Again!!!  (Read 3322 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Here They Go Again!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:59:31 PM »

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Ottawa+slash+tape+fish+farms/9745890/story.html
Get over it.
Salmon farms have been in BC and Washington for nearly forty years with zero documented declines in wild salmon attributed to them; actually, many wild stocks have thrived.   For reasons already discussed many times on this forum, BC has vast potential in this industry, and I applaud our elected and appointed officials in seeing the truth and discarding the myths.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:50:42 PM »

Get over it.
Salmon farms have been in BC and Washington for nearly forty years with zero documented declines in wild salmon attributed to them; actually, many wild stocks have thrived.   For reasons already discussed many times on this forum, BC has vast potential in this industry, and I applaud our elected and appointed officials in seeing the truth and discarding the myths.
You are correct in the fact so many government officials and scientist are being muzzled and controlled what they say or environmental standards so relaxed one can almost do what they want.  :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:26:30 PM »

The focus seems to always be the effect on wild salmon stocks. While this is important, I see two additional big issues that are seldom mentioned.

1. The effect of having fish farms concentrated in a small area.
2. The harmful ingredients in the feed for fish lots.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »

--at least we've saved the wales.. no longer endangered.. I feel good.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 03:57:45 PM »

More what I try to say on many environmental issues Dave.

http://www.brandonsun.com/lifestyles/breaking-news/bc-falling-short-on-environmental-monitoring-says-ombudsperson-report-255562521.html?thx=y
-"Having established this audit goal, though, the ministry did not meet it," the report said.
-- The Ministry does not have enough staff to do the job.... and I am no fan of the NDP that also cut MOE by well over 20% when they were last in power!!! Now the NDP critic wants a better job done...

--there are a lot of companies out there that want to do a good job and don't mind inspections if they're done in a fair and timely...

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:01:59 PM by skaha »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 05:48:36 PM »

The focus seems to always be the effect on wild salmon stocks. While this is important, I see two additional big issues that are seldom mentioned.

2. The harmful ingredients in the feed for fish lots.
The exact same food is fed to all Provincial and Federally raised salmonids in government subsidized hatcheries, and the few closed containment facilities, like Namkis. The Alaskan, Korean, Russian and Japanese salmon ranchers also use the same formulations  What don't you like?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »

The exact same food is fed to all Provincial and Federally raised salmonids in government subsidized hatcheries, and the few closed containment facilities, like Namkis. The Alaskan, Korean, Russian and Japanese salmon ranchers also use the same formulations  What don't you like?

so there feeding trout slice? who would of thought that ???
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?