Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Fraser River Sockeye News  (Read 3811 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: More Fraser River Sockeye News
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »

raise the limit to 4 would be my choice if we get a good run.

penn

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 04:21:25 PM »

Of course there has to be a negative spin in the story . When there are such huge numbers of sockeye it reduces the chances of other species actually getting hooked . If there are 1000 sockeye in the water in front of you and one coho what are the chances of that one coho being caught ? 1000 to 1 for the coho and 999 out 1000 that it will be a sockeye . The big numbers will  protect the weaker stock .

Golfer

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 05:03:41 PM »

Of course there has to be a negative spin in the story . When there are such huge numbers of sockeye it reduces the chances of other species actually getting hooked . If there are 1000 sockeye in the water in front of you and one coho what are the chances of that one coho being caught ? 1000 to 1 for the coho and 999 out 1000 that it will be a sockeye . The big numbers will  protect the weaker stock .

The problems will arise when the run sockeye run occurs at the same time as a smaller and more fragile run of salmon or steelhead.  If there are widespread commercial openings near the end of the sockeye run, one might think that their nets have a strong chance of intercepting and inevitably killing some early Thompson steel, or interior coho, both of which are in rough shape.  Having said that, if the run is a good size, I fully support the commercial openings.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:56:10 PM by Golfer »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 06:30:26 PM »

And this whole topic is why being a salmon manager means you are the most hated person in BC.

You get commercial fishers yelling at you for managing for conservation, recreational anglers yelling at you for managing to commercial fisheries.

And in some cases you have recreational anglers yelling at you for managing for a type of recreational angler.

And I haven't even mentioned the non fishing parties yet...

penn

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »

The problems will arise when the run sockeye run occurs at the same time as a smaller and more fragile run of salmon or steelhead.  If there are widespread commercial openings near the end of the sockeye run, one might think that their nets have a strong chance of intercepting and inevitably killing some early Thompson steel, or interior coho, both of which are in rough shape.  Having said that, if the run is a good size, I fully support the commercial openings.
I wasn't referring to commercial openings . Of course those will pick off all 1000 socks present plus the coho or steelie .

Burbot

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »

yummy radiated salmon. No thanks/.

penn

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »

yummy radiated salmon. No thanks/.
Let me guess , you are one of those who fell for this?
http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/fukushima.asp

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »

Im out of Sockeye and wont make that mistake again.

Can buy them off the boat and spend a day canning and im good to go.

Leaves me more time for fishing. :)