Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chehalis lake  (Read 12090 times)

island boy

chehalis lake
« on: April 06, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »

i heard that the campsite up at the lake is open now. i wonder what the fishing would be like after years of limited access. i don't even know how the fishing was before, but it has to be better one would think. anyone have any stories about this lake? might have to check it out this spring.
you kill it, you clean it.

joshhowat

Re: chehalis lake
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »

The acess to the lake is still the same just now there is a running campsite on it again.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

mr.bean

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:46:06 AM »

went there last may. its a 30 km gravel road to get to the campsite. can get windy. the water was pretty choppy when we crossed the lake. started to troll on the left  side  towards the old  boat launch with a small flat fish, no action. changed over to a wedding band with a dew worm.  we were using  two jet divers, one  40 feet and one down 80  caught one  nice either bull or brook trout. couldn't tell, it was really olive coloured with big spots.  caught a smaller dolly on the way back to the camp site. everybody around us was catching too.  so if you don't mind the drive in, its a beautiful lake for sure. check it out.           .

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:58:19 AM »

went there last may. its a 30 km gravel road to get to the campsite. can get windy. the water was pretty choppy when we crossed the lake. started to troll on the left  side  towards the old  boat launch with a small flat fish, no action. changed over to a wedding band with a dew worm.  we were using  two jet divers, one  40 feet and one down 80  caught one  nice either bull or brook trout. couldn't tell, it was really olive coloured with big spots.  caught a smaller dolly on the way back to the camp site. everybody around us was catching too.  so if you don't mind the drive in, its a beautiful lake for sure. check it out.           .
Did the bull/brookie have weird patterns on the dorsal fin and back? If it did its a brookie, if not most likely a bull/dolly
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:02:58 AM by clarkii »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:47:24 PM »

Be careful on that lake.  There was a HUGE slide years ago and apparently it is still unstable.

island boy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »

i'll be checking it out.

island boy

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:01:36 PM »

could you tow a boat up there?

mr.bean

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »

I didn't notice any weird patterns on the dorsal fin. it was olive/brown in colour and big brown/yellowish spots all over,  and yes you can tow  a boat to the campsite.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 09:29:38 PM »

I fished up there a few time before the slide (had my bachelor party there), but I always fished the top end near the river inlet.  Always fished in front of the river, trolling back and forth across the river current.  You could always see the bulls/dollies sitting in the current upstream as well.
Not all those who wander are lost

phillyeagles89

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »

could you tow a boat up there?

I towed my 12 foot boat up there with my ford ranger back in early October. Road can be pretty rough in some spots but as long as you take your time and be careful you'll be fine.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »

I didn't notice any weird patterns on the dorsal fin. it was olive/brown in colour and big brown/yellowish spots all over,  and yes you can tow  a boat to the campsite.

brook trout have red spots with blue halos and cream worm like squiggly markings on the dorsal surface of the back... very distinctive.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.