Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roche Lake  (Read 3580 times)

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
Roche Lake
« on: June 16, 2004, 08:51:08 PM »

Sorry it took so long for this report but I had to have some fun on the "other" board first! ;D

Fished Roche the week end of June 12th and did pretty dang good! Not in numbers though, I just latched into the fish of a life time is all. 8)
I did the troll thing with a pal new to the fly game on Saturday, and caught a couple while he had 2 flies ripped off. Later that afternoon I had a hankering for a little casting so I headed toward monster bay in the tube and never made that far.
Ok, here it comes......!
With my Sage 6 wt 6.6# tippet ending in a #12 olive estats shrimp, I latched onto a monster.
It picked my fly up and zinged almost 200 yrds of backing off!!!
A good fight followed by me grabbing a trout of 40".
I know, I know, IMPOSSIBLE. Whatever. This is the report page and I'm giving you my report. I never got a pic, as the GF had the camera back at home in her trunk.
I touched it three times and had it in my arms once outta the water and for me that was a caught fish.
Sunday was SO windy we fished for about an hour in the morning and then the wind was just too crazy!!
Monday morning I managed one about 3#. At only 21" it was very fat! Then the wind picked up and the hail started along with thunder so we high tailed.
The water was pretty much a constant 58 degrees, and there were a lot of fish on the shoals. Plenty of coloured fish to be sure but I caught only silver fish.

Let the nay saying and slagfest begin........ ::)
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
Re:Roche Lake
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 09:01:41 PM »

40 inches .  WOW!  How much would a fish like that way. That is insane.
Good job.
I like ROE

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 09:30:12 PM »

I would venture 16 to 19#s. Others have done a "length times girth" thing and arrived at 25 or so. I think that is bull though.
Believe it. That was the biggest trout I have ever personally seen, though I know my buddy Budvar hooked an even bigger one from Sayers. I didn't see that one though, I was too far away. :(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 09:35:49 PM by Floonster »
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 09:31:28 PM »

Well done Floon. You ought to be proud !

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 09:37:42 PM »

wow thats almost 4 ft long hard to believe without a photo

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 10:02:56 PM »

Incridible Floonster, good for you. The kind of fish that we all dream of catching and you caught it, congratulations.

Hook

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 09:40:20 AM »

I read the replies on the other site ::) and it seems you have a few nay sayers over there. Anyway I voted for the 40" trout.
Way to go, those moments come along only once in awhile or for some once in a lifetime. Like me I'm still waiting. :'(

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 11:53:53 AM »

I read the replies on the other site ::) and it seems you have a few nay sayers over there. Anyway I voted for the 40" trout.
Way to go, those moments come along only once in awhile or for some once in a lifetime. Like me I'm still waiting. :'(

Hook - if it happened now, you'd have the rest of your life without it (by simple definition of "once in a lifetime").  Now, you still can have things to which you can look forward! :D

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 02:31:40 PM »

Pretty impressive to be taken out 690 feet on a fly in a float tube and still land a fish. ;D Regardless of it's size congrats on your fish of a lifetime.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 02:32:47 PM by tHe TrOuT sLaYeR »

Dynamite kid

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 06:48:23 AM »

This story is a great one.I can't help but think of the movie "Moby Dick",try not to lose your mind like the Gregory Peck character  ;D.
Floon,I once saw a fish in a small lake behind Peter Hope(it's name is a color),that was 20# for sure.I started shaking trying to cast to it,it swam 10 ft from my float tube.
Roche lake holds some truly enormous trout,that is fact ,why no one on the "other"site believes you, doesn't surprise me.I think stories like these are what makes fishing exciting.

DocSpratley

• Don't be a Potsy!
    • FishJunkie.com
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 09:15:41 PM »

Yes DK, MaroonVioletGreenMauvePerriwinkle Lake has some monsters in it. VERY spooky, but I always manage to hook at least 1 hog in double digits every year. They fight like a SOB and jump like Nadia Cominicci (sp?). Sedge hatch is in full swing right now!

And I also have experienced the shaking sensation when seeing these big boys cruising the shoals. It is usually followed by a rushed-nervous cast resulting in an an undoable mess of a knot and a shrieking F*******************k as the fish laughs and farts in my general direction.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 09:19:22 PM by DocSpratley »