Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Money Down The Drain  (Read 12775 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
More Money Down The Drain
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:21:04 PM »

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1194343-fish-farm-culls-cost-public-138m

Too bad, some of this money could have been used in the FOC budget, instead the government has slashed FOC's budget over the last while.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:24:36 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: More Money Down The Drain
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:50:37 AM »

How is there justification in spending all this money? Could some of those from the pro FF side give us some answers or explain why our taxpayers money is spent this way, thanks in advance.

http://www.thewesternstar.com/News/Local/2014-03-24/article-3660449/Diamond-agrees-on-call-for-end-to-public-bailouts-for-salmon-feedlots/1

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »

Fishfarminbawb is probably busy with his favorites links trying to find an answer. When he should be feeding the penstock more slice.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »

Chris knows why this happens, been posted before, but once again :D …  farmed salmon, trout and shellfish are considered an agricultural crop, just like beef, pork, poultry, strawberries, wheat, corn, potatoes, etc.   Our government compensates these producers in the event of crop failures.
One wonders what has been paid out to poultry (avian flu) or beef (mad cow disease) producers country wide over the years; add in failures for grain, berries, root veggies and yeah, it seems we pay considerable $$ for farmer insurance.  Should we be? Some obviously think not but right now it’s Canadian government policy, and certainly not only for farmed salmon.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »

The big difference between the fish farm payouts and agricultural crop insurance is that farmers pay 50% of the crop insurance premiums (the rest by fed/prov govt).

You would think that fish farmers would procure their own "crop insurance" but why when it is provided free by the government.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »

It would be interesting to know the amount of taxes payed over the years by aqauculture.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 05:11:44 PM »

The big difference between the fish farm payouts and agricultural crop insurance is that farmers pay 50% of the crop insurance premiums (the rest by fed/prov govt).

You would think that fish farmers would procure their own "crop insurance" but why when it is provided free by the government.

Not the same program; fish farms don't have the public subsidized access to crop insurance that other farmers do.

These crop payouts arise from a Canada Food inspection Agency program that compensate all types of animal producers for losses related to a destruction order issued by the agency to that farmer. It includes (and pays compensation to) cattle, pig, bird and fish producers. Details here:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/diseases/compensation/eng/1313712524829/1313712773700

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:45:43 AM »

So it's cool for the Canadian taxpayer - to guarantee income streams with taxpayers money for companies that aren't Canadian owned or based? Most of the land farms are Canadian owned. Is it just me or does anyone else find this incredibly stupid? Show me another jurisdiction in the world that does this please.

"Come to Canada- open a business and if it flops, we'll open the vault for you!"
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:47:52 AM by Novabonker »
http://

StillAqua

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »

So it's cool for the Canadian taxpayer - to guarantee income streams with taxpayers money for companies that aren't Canadian owned or based? Most of the land farms are Canadian owned. Is it just me or does anyone else find this incredibly stupid? Show me another jurisdiction in the world that does this please.

The only reason most Canadian farms are Canadian owned is simply because of provinicial laws that limit foreign ownership of farmland. China and other developing countries are buying up millions of acres of farmland around the world to secure their country's access to foodcrops.

I'm curious though, if BC had similar laws restricting foreign use of fish farm sites, and only Canadian companies could farm salmon in BC waters, would the industry be any different? Would it even matter to fish farm opponents?  Somehow I doubt it.......

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 06:21:51 AM »

The only reason most Canadian farms are Canadian owned is simply because of provinicial laws that limit foreign ownership of farmland. China and other developing countries are buying up millions of acres of farmland around the world to secure their country's access to foodcrops.

I'm curious though, if BC had similar laws restricting foreign use of fish farm sites, and only Canadian companies could farm salmon in BC waters, would the industry be any different? Would it even matter to fish farm opponents?  Somehow I doubt it.......

But why should Canadian taxpayers cover the losses of foreign companies? That's OUR money, going to companies that take their profits back home with them and leave us to cover losses when they occur. That's not rational . When they hit profits do they pay back any of the money to us? Nope.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »

They sure helped Chile out when they poluted that country with dead diseased fish. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 08:39:30 AM »

Contrary to the inaccurate and untrue message being promoted by some, there is no guaranteed income for fish farms under any program and no public subsidized crop insurance. As is obvious to anyone who actually took the time to read about the CFIA program, compensation is paid only when the CFIA orders the destruction of the crop. Beyond that, the farms are on their own with respect to covering operating losses.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 03:23:33 PM »

Contrary to the inaccurate and untrue message being promoted by some, there is no guaranteed income for fish farms under any program and no public subsidized crop insurance. As is obvious to anyone who actually took the time to read about the CFIA program, compensation is paid only when the CFIA orders the destruction of the crop. Beyond that, the farms are on their own with respect to covering operating losses.

Oh? Do a search and you'll find out there's a lot of taxpayer funding thrown at the industry and it's not just for diseased fish.Try again as that's not accurate at all. And again, why am I responsible for a foreign companies failure?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 03:25:27 PM by Novabonker »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 09:37:15 PM »

No, you do the search for the example of the government giving the farms money to guarantee their income stream. After all, you're the one making the claim so assuming you're not just righteously shaking your jowls, you should have some basis for it that you would be willing to share.

And while you're at it, explain why we should use taxpayer money to subsidize crop insurance for any business, Canadian owned or otherwise. This is a test; there is a rationalization for it, but I'm curious if you have any understanding of the bigger picture or whether you just do this to feel like you're relevant.