Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fun summer steelhead flies?  (Read 4292 times)

mdc8427

fun summer steelhead flies?
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:38:04 PM »

hello
looking for some fun summer steelhead flies to tie. anyone have some good recipes for vedder,  squamish ect? also looking for winter steelhead recipes.   thanks boys ;D

MetalAndFeathers

Re: fun summer steelhead flies?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »

There are no summer runs in the Squamish and vedder.The only river i know that has summers are the Chehalis and Capilano rivers.

mdc8427

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »

well thats embarrassing   

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 12:05:04 PM »

Seymour, Silverhope and Coquihalla also have some summer runs.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »

Ok guys not trying to piss in any ones corn flakes but there is no need to talk about the smaller systems online i understand u guys are trying to help the guy out. even though people know about theses systems no need for all of bc to know.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »

Ok guys not trying to piss in any ones corn flakes but there is no need to talk about the smaller systems online i understand u guys are trying to help the guy out. even though people know about theses systems no need for all of bc to know.

The fact that you post a response like this makes people more curious.... If you leave it at an informational post, people will tend to disregard, especially if it's not close to home. If people see you trying to cover it up and throwing a fit that the names were said on-line, they'll go check it out..

If you look at the fisheries data query, almost all the small rivers/creeks towards hope/harrison have some summer runs. Whether or not they are worth targeting comes into question at that point (tiny runs).

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 08:15:01 PM »

gee whiz if some the better Tackle shops put that sort info in their on line reports every summer why take aim at what I and one or two other people say? All that info is out there google will find it quicker than you can post a response.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »

With a little research you'll find there are 5 streams with recognized runs of summer fish in Region 2. These are runs that generally number  2 or 3 dozen to a couple hundred at best. In years of bad returns it can be much lower than these numbers. The Coq' can vary by as much as an order of magnitude. Anecdotally some other rivers have a few fish appearing from June to October from time to time. You can't really call these runs as they may be strays from rivers with runs or just some small diversity in the gene pool of that water. Most of our truly wild streams have small numbers of any steelhead run - winter or summer. The situation is pretty dismal. If people don't know about this there is no chance of it getting any better.

The Chehalis Run is a hatchery run (not included in the 5) with possibly some natural reproduction from those fish. The Cap and Seymour were good summer streams before the dams were constructed and now produce very small numbers of fish ( see http://www.bccf.com/steelhead/r2-focus3.htm)

As far as fly patterns.

I like the Grease Liner as a dry or damp fly: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/atlantic/dryflies/greasedliner.php

Green butt skunk

General Practioner

A thin bodied pattern like the As Specified http://qualityflies.com/products/A.html

Something Bright like a Polar Shrimp.

Carry different sizes big as a 1/0 or 3vn 2/0 small as an 8 or 10.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:00:10 AM by RalphH »