Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just bought first two handed rod  (Read 5731 times)

robbo1970

Just bought first two handed rod
« on: March 18, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »

So guys just bought my first two handed rod, a echo 8wt switch rod, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good first cast to learn. Just watching the Rio DVD at the moment, but just wanted to know what anyone else experiences were.

Thanks

Rob

A Frayed Knot

Re: Just bought first two handed rod
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »

Roll Casting and working on your D loop and setting the anchor, then working on single spey and double spey. I recommend buying into lessons. There are some great places to buy into lessons with alittle work with google.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:54:46 PM »

there is a big gathering over the April 4-6 weekend at Sunwolf in Squamish. event is called Cast & Blast and has tons of stuff for the two handed enthusiast

facebook link giving more info for this years event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/629588703754046/?ref=22

If you don't want to do this then I would also suggest lessons. If your casting a SKAGIT line with your rod then put the RIO set away and buy Skagit Master #1. Skagit casting is a lot more compact and slower than casting a mid belly line, you also use more bottom hand to apply power rather than the push/pull of casting longer lines. There is enough difference between them you may find yourself frustrated trying to learn to cast a skagit line using mid belly tactics.

What you could do however is get yourself a "switch" line. These have longer heads and will allow you to learn the traditional style casting as opposed to the compact style of skagit.

You could also go back and trade in the switch for a true spey rod. This will also help because it is designed to do what you want. Casting strokes need to be adjusted when using switch for skagit casts. A switch also cant toss heavy sink tips and large flies as easily or as well as a proper spey rod. I used an 8wt switch for an entire season for steelhead and by the end of the season I sold it to buy a proper spey rod because I felt I was working too hard at times trying to use what I wanted instead of using what the tackle could handle

Personally I love my switch rods, for smaller systems, when I don't need to cast too far, need to use big flies or heavy tips. They really shine using Scandi heads with/without light to medium sink tips. Upside is you can still cast some pretty gnarly flies with them. Like a 4" bunny for Bull trout with ease

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

joshhowat

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:12:45 PM »

Get yourself some casting lessons so you don't learn bad habits. I wish I did when I first started.

M&Y Flyshop can help you with the lessons.
(604) 588-2833
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

hotrod

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:27:44 AM »

When I first got started with two handers, I got all my info on casting from youtube!! A great resource for this. So, just took what I learned there and applied it on the river. Worked great for me
Save a ton of money with no casting instructor needed.

hotrod

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 07:32:54 AM »

Michael and Young's annual Spey Clave is March 29th at Peg Leg Gill Road bar on the Fraser near Chilliwack: http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=47414

I have the Echo SR #8 and line it with a Rio 475 Skagit and it works great. Have a look at the Rio (http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summit/pdf/2013_RIO_Spey_Line_Recs.pdf) and Echo ( http://www.echoflyfishing.com/pdf/speylinechart.pdf )recommendation charts. Shorter heads are easier to learn with. No need to over think this. Most people start with a Skagit head some with the Scandi heads. It's relatively easy to quickly become competent with either. By all means get lessons but don't be afraid to try it yourself after watching the appropriate segments of the RIO video (I have that too).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:29:52 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »

pretty sure the M&Y gathering is at GILL rd. and not Pegleg this year. 
Check out our new blog

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 09:13:12 PM »

So guys just bought my first two handed rod, a echo 8wt switch rod, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good first cast to learn. Just watching the Rio DVD at the moment, but just wanted to know what anyone else experiences were.

Thanks

Rob

First casts I learned were the Single spey and Double spey. If your able to learn them with both left or right hand up this will help you greatly and ultimately make casting from either side of the river or wind up/down river a lot easier for you in the long run

I personally find left hand up alien to me and cant make it work therefore I am stuck casting "cack handed". I do continue to try it and some casts do work but it still doesn't feel right
Check out our new blog

robbo1970

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:12:15 AM »

Thanks for the info, trying to get hold of the DVD skagit master.

I am going to try and make my way up to squamish for one of those days of cast and blast, but as luck would have it I am moving from Steveston to Mission three days before that so kinda double the journey.

I am the same as you Hook with that alien feeling, growing up in England I learnt to fish from my dad who is right handed and I am left handed. Now nearly forty years later anything I try and do with a fishing rod in my left hand makes me feel like I'm four again!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:29:09 AM »

pretty sure the M&Y gathering is at GILL rd. and not Pegleg this year.

Yes Gill road. I got that wrong.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 07:53:28 PM »

Thanks for the info, trying to get hold of the DVD skagit master.

you could always put a "want to buy" thread in the classifieds. Im sure someone has a copy of SM 1 they might part with

I too might be up for Cast & Blast on the 5th  :)
Check out our new blog

robbo1970

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »

Got hold of skagit master1 and watching it now for the second time, wife thinks I'm crazy/fishing nerd!

Can't make the m&y date I'm moving hopefully they have another later in the year.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 10:19:44 PM »

Got hold of skagit master1 and watching it now for the second time, wife thinks I'm crazy/fishing nerd!

Your wife will think you have a sickness when you also get ahold of Skagit Masters 2, 3 & 4  ;)
Check out our new blog

mdc8427

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »

pay for a $50 half day course and practice watch you tube vids  dont buy skagit master dvd  stupid pricey   
got the exact same rod youll have a blast

robbo1970

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »

Hi mdc8427

Where did you see a half day course advertised, I would definitely be up for that.

Also what reel did you find was the best match? I am currently using my echo ion 6/7 of off my single hander which is a little small I think.

Been up to the stave a few times, and trying to teach myself skagit style, it may not be pretty but as you.say is m having a blast.

Rob