Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clear room in your freezers folks!  (Read 5670 times)

Bavarian Raven

Re: Clear room in your freezers folks!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:20:00 AM »

Hopefully the good news pans out :)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:25:52 AM »

Could care less about sockeye.
Chinook, Coho, Steelhead are the ones that count and they're (mostly) not doing well. I would rather catch Chum than fish for socks.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »

nobody said anything about flossing socks.  In 2010 when we had insane numbers, the prices at the docks in Steveston were $10 a fish.  I bought 10 of them and had Sockeye to eat all winter.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »

Bouncing betties flying off the shelves already, when will the first flossing thread start? ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:50:05 AM »

Funny, Almo's new website must have forgotten to post this information, LOL!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »

Bouncing betties flying off the shelves already, when will the first flossing thread start? ;D ;D

You just did ! ;D

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »

I'll take the credit for that one :'(

Gronan

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 04:24:26 PM »

I have a very stupid question about that : when are the sockeyes usually expected to come up the river ?
I've been in Vancouver for only a year, and as I almost missed the pink salmon run last year, I'd like to be able to enjoy the sockeye's completely this year.

Thank you !

Silex-user

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »

Could care less about sockeye.
Chinook, Coho, Steelhead are the ones that count and they're (mostly) not doing well. I would rather catch Chum than fish for socks.

X2

Silex-user

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »

I have a very stupid question about that : when are the sockeyes usually expected to come up the river ?
I've been in Vancouver for only a year, and as I almost missed the pink salmon run last year, I'd like to be able to enjoy the sockeye's completely this year.

Thank you !
if there really is that number coming you might get a chance early aug. But usually aug. 15th or later

sandy999

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 08:59:20 AM »

I don`t know about the flossing. But if a opening does happen someone needs to open a store where you can buy a big but light weight rock that a angler can carry to the river so that he has some place to stand. For me I would rather just buy a couple than to put up with that hassel.

BCLAX

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 03:30:38 PM »

If the numbers do come I'll be very worried about interior stocks of fish and summer runs that have to make it through the gauntlet of the commercial and native nets. Don't forget the hordes flossers as well.  Love hate relationship with the sockeye returns, love seeing them come back in force but hate the side affects that come along with the commercial and recreational openings.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »

If the numbers do come I'll be very worried about interior stocks of fish and summer runs that have to make it through the gauntlet of the commercial and native nets. Don't forget the hordes flossers as well.  Love hate relationship with the sockeye returns, love seeing them come back in force but hate the side affects that come along with the commercial and recreational openings.

Couldn't agree more.

All I'm hearing in the media lately is the anticipated large return of sockeye, followed by enbridge commercials about how much enbridge loves sockeye. I'm sick of it quite frankly.

Industry is freaking out and putting pressure on fisheries managers to allow openings left right and centre for increasingly longer periods of time. While this is the brood from the 2010 parent group we are talking about, and can (all else being equal, of course) anticipate a large enough return to allow for commercial openings, we need to put pressure on DFO to be smart about these openings (unlikely) because it doesn't talk a rocket scientist to figure out that increased openings means increased bycatch of endangered runs of steelhead, coho, and chinook.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:22:20 AM by silver ghost »

BCLAX

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »

Yah, not a fan of that Enbridge commercial. That's for another discussion  ;)