Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speechless on June 15th  (Read 2842 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Speechless on June 15th
« on: June 15, 2004, 11:13:14 PM »

Ever have one of those night's fishing when you are left speechless?

I've been fishing sea run cutthroat for 10 years now. I have a home beach that on average produces a couple of fish a night. If I land a couple of fish, and lose a couple more, it's been a good night in my books. My best night several years ago produced about 6-8 fish for about 10 or so hooked.

Fished the ebb tide tonight. There had been a stiff onshore breeze for most of the day which tends to pile the weedage in along the shore and make for a difficult time fishing. There was also a chop on the water.  Not my favourite conditions but I hadn't been out for more than a month so wasn't about to go home.

After a couple of spot changes to find some clearer water I found a flat rock to perch on in waist deep water and began to let my spoon sink a bit deeper to avoid the weedage. Then the action started...and it didn't stop.

Final tally for the night was 23 fish hooked...yes, 23...of which I landed a bit less than half. And that's not counting the strikes that I missed or the fish that jumped at my lure as I was lifting it from the water.

17 fish from my first flat rock in the first hour. All fish were wild, bright and feisty. The ones that I lost were obviously feistier. Biggest one I landed was about 15", lost a few in that range too.        

It's not often the fish are that congregated and that the action is that steady for such a long period of time. They aren't called ghosts for nothing. Apparently I hit a large pod at just the right time at just the right place.

I also proved my addage that a jumping sea run is a catchable sea run.  A few fish boiled within casting range; covering the fish with a quick cast usually produced a hook up.  

23 fish hooked in 2.5 hours is fast action in anyone's books. Factor in that these are wild fish, from stocks that are depresed and spawn in streams that are  in decline due to urbanization and agriculture and you can start using words like 'remarkable action'.

Just looked back through my journal. I hooked more fish in one night than I've hooked in some whole seasons.

Well, I'm not entirely speechless. I did call a couple of friends on the way home and just babbled.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 06:51:52 AM by Rodney »

MERC

• Old Timer
Re:Speechless
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 12:04:29 AM »

What kind of spoon were you using?  I've never fished for sea run cutthroat in tidal like that but have heard of a couple of places to try so if I get bored it might be a nice way to spend an afternoon.
President Club S. C. & P.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re:Speechless
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 06:15:36 AM »

ya man, us spoon heads want to know-what spoon?

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re:Speechless on June 15th
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 07:50:48 AM »

WOW, good job clarki. Sure sounds like you had a blast. Wish I had of been sitting beside you and catching some of those fish. Man what a great time!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 10:56:50 PM »

My standby spoon for years has been the chrome/silver Gibbs Ultra in 1/8 or 1/6 oz sizes. Experience has shown that a bit of prism tape added on  increases the lure's effectiveness immensely.

Last night, I was using a prism Gibbs Croc. It's a little heavier than my preferred Ultra and can get a bit mroe distance in the wind.

My buddy uses the Gibbs Croc exclusively and does quite fine by it too.

The common traits are small, silver/chrome and flashy...kind of like a little baitfish.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 08:30:45 PM »

Not so Mr. Spin n' Glo. There are some VERY nice cutthroat beaches available without having to take a 45 minute ferry ride   ;)

Sorry guys I can't/won't divulge the spot; certainly not over the internet and not to people I don't know personally. I do give it up to my buds though and over the years have introduced more than half a dozen to the fishery.

Wasn't my intent to be a tease. I did debate not posting  b/c I had no intention of divulging the location and knew I would be asked. In the end I determined that other like-minded anglers would like to share my disbelief of hooking 23 wild cutts in an evening.  

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 01:51:59 PM »

sounds like he was down at the Cypress Creek confluence on Stearman Beach..its been hot there over hte last little while
You don't make friends with salad.