Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kawkawa  (Read 25766 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Kawkawa
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 10:39:07 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153883240125084&set=p.10153883240125084&type=1&theater

Yup and like I said originally its going to take some time before its fishable.

My favorite technique is casting my fly out, let it sink to about a 10-20 count and start stripping with a strip pause method. This works when the fish are within 10 feet of the surface. Find risers and anchor and try this method. When its hot I would get a fish a cast!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 10:43:35 PM »

Frozen, but can be fishable.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 08:12:59 AM »

Good Job! I saw these guys yesterday when I got there but I have a pontoon boat and they had a boat with an engine and they were breaking the ice. I would just stuck on the ice if I tried. haha.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 12:17:15 PM »

If anybody can give me an update on the ice condition that would be great. Tomorrow is my last day off before going back to work. Thanks.

Alomar

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »

Did u make it out there fishmonk?

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »

No man, I didn't go today. I went to Whonnock Lake today. I had 1 bite only, but no other takers. All in all, it was a nice day on the water. Things should be good for next week though.

RossP

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »

Having never fished Kawkawa Lake before, I am planning to head up there on Monday to try my hand at Kokanee fishing , also which I have never done before. Taking my boat and my fly rods with me. Any hints as to how, flies to use, and where on the lake one would start would be greatly appreciated. I am taking a young fellow who is into fishing with me. I met him at the BC Youth Fly Fishing competition. No secrets just a gentle nudge in the right direction. You can pm me or email me at ross at accomplished dot ca. Thanks
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2014, 06:29:35 AM »

I can't say much for flyfishing the lake, bringing a nice veriety of sinking lines will benefit you though, If the fish arent surfacing you will have to try to find them in 40-50ft of water, I don't usually throw feathers for them since I've only got them on the fly when they where taking krill that was float fished a couple feet from the surface on a float.  good fun though on a 4wt. 

Humpy

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2014, 09:05:47 AM »

As for the krill, do you guys buy them from tackle shops? Or just buy the krill uncured and cure them yourself?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

RRV

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2014, 12:00:06 PM »

RossP: When the Kokanee are on the top I've had excellent luck trolling a chartreuse luckybug on a 4wt fly rod.  This is my go to method early in season at Niskonlith lake, which is near Chase BC.  This said, I've only fished Kawkawa twice, and both times I had to go to depth to catch anything. I had the best luck with a wedding band tipped with krill.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »

Having never fished Kawkawa Lake before, I am planning to head up there on Monday to try my hand at Kokanee fishing , also which I have never done before. Taking my boat and my fly rods with me. Any hints as to how, flies to use, and where on the lake one would start would be greatly appreciated. I am taking a young fellow who is into fishing with me. I met him at the BC Youth Fly Fishing competition. No secrets just a gentle nudge in the right direction. You can pm me or email me at ross at accomplished dot ca. Thanks

A red micro leech is all you need. If they are in the top 10 feet of the water column you will slay them on a clear intermediate. For those that fly fish this lake a ton we know about the red micro leech. No need for any other fly. Heck I have caught both the coho and the cutthroat on that fly in that lake as well. Bring a type 7 sinking line as well incase they are deep. When no fish is surfacing I will troll with a fast sinking line very slowly. When I get some bites in one area I will stop and cast. I will cast out, let my line sink and slowly strip it back in. I am not a huge fan of trolling but if its what you like to do go for it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

RossP

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 07:23:36 PM »

Thanks to everyone who replied. We went up today and once we found them, lost a few, then we were on track. We had a blast and brought a few home for dinner. Once again thanks to everyone who replied.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »

RossP, I have never eaten a Kawkawa kokanee but have heard conflicting stories regarding their flavor - some say they are awesome, others say they are muddy tasting.  As this is your first time eating these fish ... how were they? 

RossP

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 09:15:49 PM »

RossP, I have never eaten a Kawkawa kokanee but have heard conflicting stories regarding their flavor - some say they are awesome, others say they are muddy tasting.  As this is your first time eating these fish ... how were they?

They were awesome, I will be going again to get more on orders from SWMBO.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:17:20 PM by RossP »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »

;)  best do it!