Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low-holing to the extreme  (Read 13273 times)

dave c

Low-holing to the extreme
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »

I was fishing mid river Tuesday on a lovely run. When I arrived, there were three others present.  I proceeded to the head of the run.  Shortly thereafter another fisherman arrived and started fishing above me.  About halfway down the run a nice steelhead showed itself twice by coming completely out of the water.  It jumped on the other side of the run (within easy casting distance) about 50ft below me on the run.  The fellow below me realized the fish wasn't really in his zone and he wished me words of encouragement.  I tossed one cast and came up a little short of distance and as i was reeling in I watched in shock as the guy who was above me proceeded to drop in below me, and to add insult to injury he decides to wade halfway across the run, waist deep in water.  I was entirely blocked out by this guy.  When i finished picking my jaw up off the ground, i told the guy he needs to learn some etiquette and he didnt repond. The well wisher below me also gave this guy a piece of his mind to which we heard the classic "No speak English".  After a few more choice words i decided to leave.  No idea if he bagged the fish.  Just as well.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Low-holing to the extreme
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09:32 PM »

I would have just kept fishing, allowing my drifts to go long so I "had" to reel past his legs praying that I would hook him. I have hooked the odd guy over the years that's tried cutting me off in the same manner. That type of behaviour is pathetic and done on purpose which is what really gets me going  >:(

Had a guy do sort of the same thing while I was spey fishing about 3yrs ago. I warned him he was within my anchor range but he didn't care. He sure as hell cared when my fly line "accidentally" wrapped around his neck and I pulled tight  8)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »

He sure as hell cared when my fly line "accidentally" wrapped around his neck and I pulled tight  8)

You must feel like a real hero.

zap brannigan

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »

toss a rock at their float and move on.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »

Yup I would  have a skipped a few stones them said have a nice day and walk away

islanddude

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 06:53:02 PM »

I am going to carry a can of bear spray if I ever decide to fish the Vedder. I could always claim that I was in fear for my life.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 07:05:51 PM »

I just put on one of my weighted size 2 coho flies and aim right at the guys head. I'm pretty accurate with a fly rod and can usually hit my target within a cast or two. I've taken guys hats and glasses off a few times and sunk the point into a few guys. No eyeballs so far, but more than a few flesh wounds. It is kind of fun and adds a little spice to the day. I change to a 10 lb leader so I can break off easily. The loss of a few flies is worth the satisfaction of seeing the shocked look on their face. A few years ago I snagged a guy's gear rod right out of his drift boat as they were passing by using level winds in the fly only section.

Quinsam_Lose_Some

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »

You must feel like a real hero.

Why the snarky reply 'Big Fish?' What did it leave much of a welt on your neck?

wonder

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 06:50:14 AM »

Had the same thing happen to me couple weeks ago after 6 hours on the river dude walks down the bank about 40 feet down from me and hooks a beauty doe first drift. Only fish I saw all day. He even had the nerve to ask me to take a picture for him ::)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 07:52:16 AM »

Why the snarky reply 'Big Fish?' What did it leave much of a welt on your neck?

I guess everyone has to weigh the morals of bad manners justifying assault. I haven't had many bad experiences but those I did tried my patience and self control. I think it depends on one's temperament. I like the rocks tossed into the water by the float suggestion.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fishbuster

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 08:25:04 AM »

Throwing rocks, really?

rgm

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 08:37:45 AM »

I just put on one of my weighted size 2 coho flies and aim right at the guys head. I'm pretty accurate with a fly rod and can usually hit my target within a cast or two. I've taken guys hats and glasses off a few times and sunk the point into a few guys. No eyeballs so far, but more than a few flesh wounds. It is kind of fun and adds a little spice to the day. I change to a 10 lb leader so I can break off easily. The loss of a few flies is worth the satisfaction of seeing the shocked look on their face. A few years ago I snagged a guy's gear rod right out of his drift boat as they were passing by using level winds in the fly only section.

You come on a public forum and brag about assault with a weapon and then imply that you are hoping for an eye one day and you justify this because someone stood where you wanted to stand. Worse yet, you have people supporting this behavior. What low holers do is inconsiderate, yes but it is still public property and not illegal. Scarring and possibly disabling someone over it is illegal. Bragging about it is disturbing. It amazes me that you would lose your mind over someone dropping garbage and be disgusted and want the law to step in when people snag fish but you think hurting and scarring a human is acceptable.
As a new angler I am scared to fish near anyone in case it's you and I make a mistake. As a human I am disgusted by the actions, bragging and support. And if I was a paying sponsor on this site I would seriously consider taking my money somewhere else so that I was not associated with a group that laughs about hurting people.
Flame me if you want but most of you would stand up for what you believe in to a snagger, and that's all I am doing. He's just not snagging fish.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:41:27 AM by rgm »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 08:55:31 AM »

Had the same thing happen to me couple weeks ago after 6 hours on the river dude walks down the bank about 40 feet down from me and hooks a beauty doe first drift. Only fish I saw all day. He even had the nerve to ask me to take a picture for him ::)

So , did you take a picture for him ?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 11:09:06 AM »

Scarring and possibly disabling someone over it is illegal.

Bragging about it is disturbing.

I almost 100% guarantee you in court that you could easily do what Ian did and have it not deemed illegal (and get off on charges). If you gave the guy fair warning and told him he was in your casting radius (which is idiotic if you see someone fly fishing), it is their own fault. You can prove you did your due diligence by warning them, and they didn't move. It isn't your job to move, especially if you were there first.

Bragging about it however, then you would probably have some assault charges laid. I'm sure Ian though wouldn't be bragging about it on a forum if it was going to court. 

I personally, walk away when some one low holes me. The Vedder is a joke, expect to get low holed, it's just the way it is out there. There honestly isn't enough water any more for people to have a run to themselves each, someone is always going to walk in somewhere. Take a note of where the fish was hooked below you, walk away, and go catch a fish there later. Low holing doesn't even bother me any more as I've caught more than my fair share behind people anyway.

Throwing rocks, really?

And yes really. If someone walks below you... fair game. If people low hole me badly enough on a river other than the vedder I do the same. Or cast my spoon on it's normal swing, hope and pray I catch their gear when they cast over me, and cut it off  ;D

fishbuster

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »

So if we throw rocks, do we stomp our feet, and drop our bottom lip and storm of like a - year old.  come on.