Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How did your Cell see the end of life?  (Read 5422 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
How did your Cell see the end of life?
« on: February 08, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »

After carrying around my iPhone that smacked the pavement when taking off my waders last Sept (new term in our house - iSliver; the glass in your foot!), I'm finally gonna get around to getting a new one or replacing the glass....

So - how did your phone die? (fishing related or otherwise)
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

zap brannigan

Re: How did your Cell see the end of life?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:34:23 PM »

Never killed one fishing, I've drowned a few phones though one met my shotgun aswell,also  bounced one off the pavement.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »

Never killed one fishing, I've drowned a few phones though one met my shotgun aswell,also  bounced one off the pavement.

I have drowned two while fishing.  One while in my float tube, cell in the front pocket, I was sitting too low in the water and the bottom of the pocket submerged.  The tell-take vibration told me my phone was in trouble...but it was too late.  The other time I had it in my pocket while fishing on some slippery rocks when I lost my footing and went for a swim.  I now carry it in a zip lock bag while fishing.
Not all those who wander are lost

zap brannigan

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 09:05:19 PM »

if you have an iphone get a lifeproof case.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 09:22:24 PM »

The Otterbox Armor series cases for the Iphone are unreal. I've been able to keep my cell in one piece thanks to it. Dropped from my pocket onto the bank multiple times and been able to use it as an underwater camera in some cases. They're 50% the otterbox website right now.

camtheman

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 11:22:49 PM »

Dropped out of my shirt pocket and slid under a balcony railing and dropped nine stories onto pavement
it survived that. then it survived the salt water sloshing back and forth over it for a coupla hours, then it went for a swim in the bulkley
. what finally killed it was after i was catching crap from the office for something completely unrelated to me and a certain type of person was not giving me my space in a tiny apartment in 35 degree heat, it was thrown at the floor  completely shaterring the screen and back case and cracking open the battery     
it was still able to take calls though  :D
went and bought another one of the same

RyanB

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 11:25:39 PM »

Had one in my fishing backpack, big wave came along and took my backpack for a short dip.  My cellphone had survived two previous dips in lakes, but the saltwater killed it.

Keep it in a ziplock sandwich bag if you don't want it to get wet.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

CoastRider

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 09:43:57 AM »

Last one died falling in the depths of the ocean while releasing a big healthy chinook, lifeprrof case on my current phone has saved it countless times, and even can handle under water photos/ river rafting etc

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:29:49 AM »

Drowned one phone which was in a leaky zip lock bag that got wet when the backpack it was in got soaked by the salt water off Ambleside.  Another phone didn't die but the microphone stopped working when some water got into my pocket while just shore fishing for pinks on the Fraser in the rain.  Both were HTC touch phones, but my Blackberries so far has weathered the storm.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »

Once lost my footing and fell.  Thought water went over my waders so I grabbed everything out of my waders and placed it on a rock.  Knocked the phone into the water. :-X

Turned it off right away, took out the battery and let it dry for a couple of days.  It worked.

Same phone.  Walking home over the Granville street bridge, strap from my shoulder bag got underneath the phone case clipped to my belt.  Fell and landed on the Stone Grill restaurant rooftop below.  NOt sure of the height but a pretty good drop.  Went home, picked up my car and drove back to the restaurant.  Asked to be let on the roof to get my phone.  Got it back, still working.  I figure the phone has gotta be close to 15 years old now and last time I used it it still gave me almost a week of standby time!

This is the phone that will not die! 
President Club S. C. & P.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »

Once lost my footing and fell.  Thought water went over my waders so I grabbed everything out of my waders and placed it on a rock.  Knocked the phone into the water. :-X

Turned it off right away, took out the battery and let it dry for a couple of days.  It worked.

Same phone.  Walking home over the Granville street bridge, strap from my shoulder bag got underneath the phone case clipped to my belt.  Fell and landed on the Stone Grill restaurant rooftop below.  NOt sure of the height but a pretty good drop.  Went home, picked up my car and drove back to the restaurant.  Asked to be let on the roof to get my phone.  Got it back, still working.  I figure the phone has gotta be close to 15 years old now and last time I used it it still gave me almost a week of standby time!

Is it a Nokia?
Someone was here

dobrolub

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »

:) Yea, a die-hard.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 07:38:46 PM »

Had an ancient Nokia flip for like ever.Last trip to Belize it disappeared from my checked bag.This time to Mexico I kept it carry-on.
Riverman

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »

Old candy bar Nokia model 5---- or something.  Used it last year while I was looking for a replacement for a samsung that died on me.  Those old phones were like the Timexes of cell phones.  Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
President Club S. C. & P.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 10:54:10 PM »

I was wading to deep a water got into my front pocket of my waders where my phone was and yup it got soaked. Threw it into some rice and it ended up working for a few months. Lucky for me I had a warranty and got a nice upgrade  ;D

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day