Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your ideal summer fishing trip outside of the lower mainland on the cheap  (Read 4614 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

I am bored at work, and a bit annoyed at the slow steelie season, so I'm thinking of planning something for the summer and was wondering if any of you awesome members have any thoughts on a fishing trip/road trip to do over ten days in the summer without breaking the bank. 

This can include ocean fishing with maybe a day or two guided but no more, otherwise I'd be limited to fishing our fabulous coastal rivers and using my own vehicle to get there.  Any thoughts? Vancouver Island, Up north, Haida Gwaii?

cheers.

Humpy

The lakes up in the Caribou Region are beautiful and they hold some nice size trout.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

HOOK

• Old Timer

Elk river area. plenty of other small rivers to explore in the area to catch westlope cutthroat and big bulls

Skeena river and Tribs

Those would be my first two choices for a 10day trip on a budget. Doable without a guide but you could get one for a day for the experience and make sure you find some fish. Guides will most likely point you towards productive spots to explore on your own as well.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Ambassador

The lakes up in the Caribou Region are beautiful and they hold some nice size trout.
x2
The Interlakes area Between 100 Mile and Barriere is not too far and has plenty of fantastic lakes to fish. We hit one there last May long and couldn't keep the trout off our hooks. A boat is recommended.

The Skeena would also be a great adventure before it gets covered in oil. Tops on my hitlist.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:03:41 PM by Ambassador »
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Ian Forbes

It really depends on the dates and the weather. A cold weather front can totally shut down lake fishing even at the ideal time and best location. Coast rivers depend on the salmon or steelhead runs. Proper timing is everything. Kootenay trout streams depend on river heights and insect hatches. Northern steelhead rivers depend on run timing and freshet timing. I've pretty well got all the dates figured out for the entire province, but there are still variables that affect the results. I seldom go skunked though.

banx

like hook said about the skeena and it's tribs.  last week of august, 1st week of sept is spectacular up there.  fish for coho in the kitimat, steelhead in the copper and some very big springs in the skeena and its tribs..... huge cutties in the lakelse river too... also some huge northern coho in the nass, tseax etc.

pay a guide for a couple of days on the skeena. you will not be disappointed.

if you set up base in terrace. your looking at a 45 min drive or less... to each of those rivers. the tseax about 1.5hrs.

I go up there every year around that time.

Haida gwaii is also amazing. aggate beach is gorgeous..... I believe in mid july when the crabs are spawing you can catch them just off shore  with minimal effort.... just walking around in waders. the razor clams are delicious too.... and the cutty fishing is so easy it 'almost' gets boring.

if i had the vacation time and funds to go there again. it would be haida gwaii. the ferry is not cheap. and it takes a while. I went via prince rupert. not sure if a ferry from vancouver island goes to the charlottes.

CoastRider

I would suggest Skeena area. Haida Gwaii is an unbelievable place, but not a place for a budget. If you go there, you'll need to spend money to experience everything it has to offer. Gorgeous place if youre just looking to explore and see the land, catch some trout etc. But if you want some world class fishing for a good price, Head to the skeena

Whopperman

Re: Your ideal summer fishing trip outside of the lower mainland on the cheap
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:58:16 AM »

NO DON'T GO TO THE CARIBOU!!!!!!

The fishing is fantastic and the scenery is beautiful and there are few people around. Especially fly fishing, great for beginners and seasoned vets..