Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Parking by the train bridge  (Read 10841 times)

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Parking by the train bridge
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »

My old old-timer retiree friend who is a spey guy there most days in steelhead season told me that is the only safe spot for his truck - he can see and hear anything done to his truck. He lives there and fish it often.

Are you by chance talking about Rod? I use to talk with him often but haven't seen him there yet his season. I hope he is well.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 05:00:31 PM »

Sorry guys, you think there is a lot of difference between a leaky car parked by the dyke (say the Canal) or by the road side bordering the river (say at Tamahi) and those parked close to the river? In a heavy rain run off, all oily stuffs got flushed down to the river. Don't forget oily stuffs float on top of any run off and the river is the lowest point. That is just no running away from it. The best thing is to stay home and don't go fishing, or only go fishing if you have a new non-leaky car.  ;) All of us contribute to polluting the environment by going fishing. I don't want to throw the first stone to those parked at train bridge.

BNF861, most of those guys spey fishing the train bridge are old timers all knowing each other well. They treasure that spot for easy access. Some of those guys are so efficient with catching steelies with conventional drift gears they now want to take the challenge of spey fishing for steelhead, LOL. Yeup. I know some of those guys fishing there but I fish all over the river just for the 'hunting' feeling of steelheading. Over the years, he caught more steelies than I do though.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:18:51 PM by liketofish »

TheFishingLad

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »

Hell boys why were at it let's charge an extra '25%' Environmental Fee Anually with ICBC for those who are the cause of a car accident. Fuel spills, Engine oil, Tranny oil, Coolant. Concrete loves to absorb it all ;)

Wait... This sounds legit, why are we not funding this?

sbc hris

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 08:42:56 PM »

Sorry guys, you think there is a lot of difference between a leaky car parked by the dyke (say the Canal) or by the road side bordering the river (say at Tamahi) and those parked close to the river? In a heavy rain run off, all oily stuffs got flushed down to the river. Don't forget oily stuffs float on top of any run off and the river is the lowest point. That is just no running away from it. The best thing is to stay home and don't go fishing, or only go fishing if you have a new non-leaky car.  ;) All of us contribute to polluting the environment by going fishing. I don't want to throw the first stone to those parked at train bridge.

BNF861, most of those guys spey fishing the train bridge are old timers all knowing each other well. They treasure that spot for easy access. Some of those guys are so efficient with catching steelies with conventional drift gears they now want to take the challenge of spey fishing for steelhead, LOL. Yeup. I know some of those guys fishing there but I fish all over the river just for the 'hunting' feeling of steelheading. Over the years, he caught more steelies than I do though.  ;D

So by your logic, we all might as well park IN the river when we get there? You don't think it would do any extra environmental damage? And when there is enough rain to flush the pollutants into the river, it is also enough rain to substantially increase the flow of the river, therefore dilluting it. Much different than parking a greasy, leaky automobile in the river during low flows.

firebird

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 09:05:11 AM »

Another impact is the compaction of the gravel bar from the weight of vehicles. This adversely impacts spawning and rearing areas.

Tenz85

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 09:49:57 AM »

Not sure if fishingLad was saying the same thing as me but leaky cars are the main pint of this problem. Wether they're parked right next to the river or next to a storm drain it's all going into the water system. Better at the mouth than near the spawning grounds if you ask me.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 12:33:50 PM »

So by your logic, we all might as well park IN the river when we get there? You don't think it would do any extra environmental damage? And when there is enough rain to flush the pollutants into the river, it is also enough rain to substantially increase the flow of the river, therefore dilluting it. Much different than parking a greasy, leaky automobile in the river during low flows.

By my logic, there is no difference and there is no need to shut down the only spot on the river where old guys can get to their fishing spots fast and not worry about the safety of their vehicles. There is no need to take my post to the extreme. We all pollute the river & the environment by merely driving and going fishing, not to say where you park. As far as taking away spawning area, why not go there take a look. Fish don't spawn on dry ground. Where they park is often above normal water line. I'll say leave those guys fishing the train bridge alone. I won't cast the first stone even though I don't fish there much.

Ambassador

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »

Another impact is the compaction of the gravel bar from the weight of vehicles. This adversely impacts spawning and rearing areas.
X2
I have wondered about the damage wading does to spawning beds (from footstomps not Didymo) and the eggs that are tucked away underneath. Perhaps a tiny impact, but seems one step in the wrong spot could crush dozens of eggs. I try to tread lightly.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

firebird

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 01:54:01 PM »

As far as taking away spawning area, why not go there take a look. Fish don't spawn on dry ground. Where they park is often above normal water line.

I fish the area so I know what it looks like. Let's put it a different way. The compaction of the gravel alters the natural hydraulics of the stream which may result in adverse impacts to fish habitat.

I just wanted to make it clear that leaking vehicles wasn't the only concern.

Anyway, your point about easier access for elders and disabled people may have some merit but I think the issue of vehicle security is pretty weak.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »

Don't forget all the damage made by gravel extraction on the Vedder, Fraser and other rivers. Look at all the heavy equipment they use travelling back and forth on the exposed gravel bars and the riparian zones of these rivers during these projects.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 01:52:29 AM »

In other news, I hear enbridge wants to build an oil pipeline under, through, and on top of hundreds of river systems... ::)

joshhowat

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 07:11:28 AM »

In other news, I hear enbridge wants to build an oil pipeline under, through, and on top of hundreds of river systems... ::)

No Kidden!

All this uproar over a hatchery enhanced system.

When wild gems are on the verge of being destroyed.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Old Blue

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 09:20:36 AM »

The pipeline isn't the real issue.....it's the tankers in that inlet in the winter.

joshhowat

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »

The pipeline isn't the real issue.....it's the tankers in that inlet in the winter.

Actually it is. The copper river has a natural gas pipeline on it now. It has broken many times due to Mother Nature. The pipeline is going to follow the same path. Only a matter of time till it breaks to letting all the oil into the river then down to the skeena and so on to the ocean.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

zap brannigan

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »

But don't worry they said right on the commercial that its going to be the safest pipeline ever built....