Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013/14 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 90718 times)

Tenz85

Thanks for the advice. I have been steelheading for 20+ years. So I know where they are generally at different water levels. Now at this level, fishing slow seams at the edge of fast water, or the shallow & slow tail out (due to coloured water and fish feel safer to stay closer to shore), as well as the pockets in rapids (as the fish are travelling at higher water), plus slower side channels are going to be good. But this year being so slow, doesn't matter what skill and knowledge, it is more important to know that there are fish around, LOL. It is all part of the observation game of steelheading. If the water is optimal and lots of fishermen but very few catch on the river, it indicates very little fish. I generally make a call to Fred's to check # of weigh-in to gauge the fish density in the river. But I will go fishing if the weather is good. Fish or no fish, you have to treat steelheading a way of life, not meat collection like you do with salmon.

Steelheading 20 years and using LOL?? I don't know.. ;)
Good tips Liketofish

Even though it's my first year west coast steelheading and the amount of time and effort I've put in, I'm going to say It is a very difficult year even for the good rods.  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Have you seen any action in such high water, Chris?
See my report for today in fishing reports. ;D ;D ;D

liketofish

• Old Timer

Thank you Chris. That is a great report. It is nice to see you break out from the 'slump'.  ;D  Wish our Canucks can do the same.  ;D ;D

By the way, whether you know it or not, some of us weekend steelheaders living in town are using the frequency of your steelhead reports and the actions on the river that you reported as a gauge of how the run is for the season. Glad that you have a great day on the river and landed the wild ones. Now there are 1.5 months left to get a hatchery.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:02:33 AM by liketofish »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Nick just phoned and said the river conditions are not the best right now. Apparently was OK earlier.

fisharoo

Was almost gin-clear near Borden late yesterday afternoon. Just below the clay banks had 10" inches around the same time. Good times are coming! Start sharpening your hooks for the weekend.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Hearing river is fine today, heading out soon and see if I can repeat Tuesday's success. :D

Britguy

• Old Timer

Hearing river is fine today, heading out soon and see if I can repeat Tuesday's success. :D/quote]
and........ :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Hearing river is fine today, heading out soon and see if I can repeat Tuesday's success. :D/quote]
and........ :-\
One miss, water was fine.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Lovely weather, great water conditions but back in a slump again after the success earlier in the week. :'(

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

As of 6pm last night - about 3 feet of viz in the bottom end. I took a couple of nice bulls on the speyrod but no sign of steel. Not many anglers either
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sandman

• Old Timer

As of 6pm last night - about 3 feet of viz in the bottom end. I took a couple of nice bulls on the speyrod but no sign of steel. Not many anglers either

Tons of anglers out today, and I too only got a bull, a small one of about 16".
Not all those who wander are lost

Sandman

• Old Timer

Water was in great shape too.
Not all those who wander are lost

wonder

Got to the river at about 7am water was perfect finally managed to land my first fish in the vedder this year (after about 15 unsuccessful trips) a nice hatchery doe, released her since it was only about 8am. Had 2 more hookups but both spat the hook. Was raining when I left water still had good viz. and ya lots of guys out today

fisharoo

wonder: it's not a catch unless we can see the pic :)

wonder

Lol, look left <----- ;D