Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013/14 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 90154 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer

Really? We were fishing upper at first light and vis was terrible from Borden down. Maybe 1ft max.
I was at the prison at 7am and I could see my boots while wading above my knees.

liketofish

• Old Timer

About 1 to 2 ft visibility at lower and getting worse with the rain late in the day. If it rains more at night, may make it worse.

Sandman

• Old Timer

Fished the lower all day, at least 2 feet visibility when I left at 3
Not all those who wander are lost

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Going to check the river conditions, might as well take the rod along too.

wallygator24

You are the man Gadsden!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water lovely but nothing to show for 3 hours of fishing but was good to get out anyway. Saw nothing taken and had a good chat with Yoda who was in the same boat as me as was others he talked to.

He was going to spend more time so maybe we will hear some good news later. I went home to cut the lawn and get ready for badminton, a good place to take out ones frustration of having to cut the lawn twice a week. :P

mvelasco

Was out around 11am today. Crossing bridge was high, brownish and quick. Went to the lower and vis was about a foot and water was clearing. Going to get my last fill of the upper tomorrow before it closes

liketofish

• Old Timer

Looks like this weekend may be toasted too. That is about it for gear guys. In May fly fishing only below Crossing Bridge. Can hatchery fish be retained by fly fishing in May? I read the freshwater reg and really got confused on this point. It doesn't say no retention of hatchery steelhead in May. Can someone explain that better?

typhoon

• Old Timer

Retention of hatchery fish is allowed in May.

Joey

Can you gear fish above the crossing

typhoon

• Old Timer

Can you gear fish above the crossing
No fishing above the crossing to protect spawning fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Retention of hatchery fish is allowed in May.

Good info. Full synopsis entry:

Below Vedder Crossing bridge: (a) fly fishing only, bait ban, hatchery rainbow trout release (50 cm or less), and hatchery cutthroat
release, May 1-31;

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions were good today on my 2 hour excursion, heard of one caught, little pressure around Peach Road in the afternoon.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Was on the lower end from about 10am till 2. Water was good at first with 3 to 4 feet of visibility. Three DFO jet boats quickly appeared and seemed to be involved in some sort of training exercise. By 1pm the water mucked up and viz dropped to less than 2 feet. Some large woody debris coming down the river No sign of fish. Saw one other fly guy with a spey rod but too far off to ask about luck. He left quickly once the DFO boats started spinning close to where he was. I wondered if this activity caused some the increased turbidity.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo

^
or perhaps he didn't have his 2014/2015 Licence with Stamps yet  ;D ;D