Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Fraser June 11  (Read 2750 times)

Hook

Upper Fraser June 11
« on: June 12, 2004, 09:51:10 AM »

I was driving back from Kelowna yesterday and stopped in Hope for a late lunch. Talked to a shore guy and the fishing was real good on Tuesday before the river jumped about 3 1/2 feet over the last two days. If you look at the river levels it crested yesterday and is dropping slightly. Also stopped in at Island22 to see what was going on, as the fishing was hot on Tuesday as well. You now have to pay $2.00 just to park there, but the guy let me in for free because there was not alot of people out. We chatted and I found out about 12 sites have disappeared into the deep.It seems the whole section on the main channel is being eaten away by the river. I don't know if alot of you were there last year but the long stretch that everyone fished off of was gone and the trees were down and hanging in the water. Well its worse this year and the trees are all gone and the bank is going fast.

Took a few shots from the boat launch and alot from the shore fishing site down by the riprap looking back towards the campsites.

Engineers were out from the Chilliwack municipality checking the bank erosion. It going pretty fast, and the high water doen't help. It should be interesting to see where it stops.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 01:29:37 AM by Rodney »

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re:Upper Fraser
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 03:23:08 PM »

Damn, that banks sure taken a beating since last summer! I wonder if anything can be done? Ie. placing large rocks ??? Thanks for the pics Hook.

otto

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 03:54:42 PM »

i've seen that current move rocks the size of small cars, and huge trees with all the branches attached. it is quite impressive and humbling......

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 03:59:17 PM »

TTS, that bank cuts basically straight down 30'. The main current that comes down by Harrison Knob  shoots straight across over to Isl. 22 campground and just rips that bank off.

Thanks Doc.

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 06:03:32 AM »

yes i made the mistake of going to hope yesterday >:(

water was much higher than last week
only a small sliver of bank was all i could stand on at snag alley
a nice day   no fish and the usual rerigging
not many others around maybe 5 or10 at the scale bar
did not see or hear of any fish caught

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 08:12:05 AM »

Damn, that banks sure taken a beating since last summer! I wonder if anything can be done? Ie. placing large rocks ??? Thanks for the pics Hook.
As the good Doctor says the bank drops straight down and when I sounded it recently I found it was close to 50 feet in some places. Rip rap and rocks would do zip to fix it. Nature at work.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 12:56:16 PM by chris gadsden »

Toprod

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 08:59:16 AM »

I fished above Aggasiz yesterday from 6:00 AM to 1:30. No fish for, none of the other 6 people bottom bouncing got anything either.