Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anybody got any good fraser salmon stories?  (Read 2649 times)

smokedfish56

anybody got any good fraser salmon stories?
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:21:32 PM »

In September several of years ago, I was fishing in Fort Langley right on Mcmillan island and had one of my most memorable Tidal river salmon trips. I was fishing the incoming tide for pinks. I just had landed my first doe of the year and had it in my cooler. I started casting right away to hit the school of pinks moving through. I felt a really gentle hit on my lure and set the hook. The hook set was imediatley followed by a large stripping of line. My 12lb mono was disapearing from my reel like nothing. I knew this wasn't a pink but most likely a spring. I jogged with my rod chasing the fish as I desperatley tried to gain line on my reel. Finally had the chance to reel it took it for what is was worth. I fought him for a few minutes trying to gain on him. My buddy with our net stepped into the cold Fraser to net this fish. I had gotten close to the beach and confirmed it as a spring. This fish controlled me rather than I controlled it. After several more minutes my buddy managed to net the brute get him to the beach. We both were jumping up and down at the greatest by-catch I'd ever caught. The 25lb spring buck had been caught on 12lb test mono on a 6'6'' spinning setup. I used a pink and silver Gibbs Delta Ironhead 1/2oz.

bunnta

Re: anybody got any good fraser salmon stories?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:39:03 PM »

same thing happened to a new fisherman i taught this year when we were fishing for pinks. I was surprised a spring took the lighting strip pink spinner, at first we thought he had foul hooked a big male pink but boy we were wrong. He almost landed it, we didn't have a net and it popped off literally 1 step away from the bank. Funny thing was, he was using a 10$ rod purchased combo from walmart. He considered it his lucky rod since it got him so many pinks this year.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »

This year was my first on the fraser, I just got a 14' boat with a 20 hp motor and went to island 22 this summer.
It was super hot and crowded so I set my bar rod up with a green chromie spin'n'glo and went to chat with some anglers who were walking up for a chat. About 2 min into our chat about no fish all week my bell rang and I nailed a 10 lb chrome red spring.

And I was an extreemly happy camper.
Then they closed the fraser the next day :(
Tight lines to all

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:50:13 PM »

Too many good stories, but this one from almost ten years ago posted by lucky is still one of the favourites.

Got to the river around 10am and could barely see the other side due to the smoke from the bog fire. Pulling up to my spot I notice a familiar face, a nice lady who netted a few of my fish last week.  As I get out of my car I notice she has a fish on, hoping to return the favour I grab my net and quickly crawl down the rocks, when I get beside her we see the fish roll and notice its not a pink but a rather large chinook :o.   She very skillfully plays out the fish on her trout rod spooled with 10lb line, and then like a dream she guides the fish into the net.  The fish could only fit less then halfway into the net, and as I tried to lift it the net nearly bent in half so I made a quick grab for the tail and lifted it onto shore.  She took it to Berrys and it weighted out at 25lbs I believe, what makes the story even better is that she caught the fish on a one of Rodneys spoons she had found the day earlier. Definatly one of the more memorable fishing trips in years.