Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trolling motor batteries  (Read 5041 times)

Ambassador

Trolling motor batteries
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent trolling motor battery? I have a 2 year old Motomaster Nautilus that wont last a full day now and has left me stranded on the far side of the lake against the wind a couple times - which can be quite the workout and challenge to keep straight in a keel-less inflatable Fish Hunter. I generally only have it on the lowest speed and still I can only get a few hours out of it. Probably wont get a new one until spring, but if I come across some ridiculous Boxing Day sale or something I will grab one sooner.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Suther

Re: Trolling motor batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:30:50 PM »

My dad uses a commercial grade truck battery. Weighs like 70lbs but lasts forever.

Tenz85

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:34:09 PM »

If you're bent on using electric, you could buy two new batteries then wire them up in parallel which will make them last long. Main thing with batteries is not to over use them and keep it well maintained/charged.

Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »

If you're bent on using electric, you could buy two new batteries then wire them up in parallel which will make them last long. Main thing with batteries is not to over use them and keep it well maintained/charged.
I imagine that would work well - I am just hoping I can find one good one that will last at least a day (or two) on the water without costing me a bunch.

Not really bent on electric - just works well for my current apartment-dweller situation. My boat, motor, and all my gear fits into a rubbemaid container that slides nicely into my storage locker. I am getting much more into salmon/river fishing lately, but my girlfriend likes getting out trolling and suntanning in the boat in the warm weather. Gotta love fishing with a sexy girl basking in the sun in front of you!
Roderick Haig-Brown

Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »

My dad uses a commercial grade truck battery. Weighs like 70lbs but lasts forever.
That seems odd as you would figure that would be more for cold starting a larger motor than the sustained power of a deep cycle battery. I think my buddy has an extra one of those. Maybe he will let me take it for a spin and see if it will work for me.
Roderick Haig-Brown

fish fishburn

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »

The Everstart batteries from Walleyworld are excellent batteries. A 27 series should last you all day no problem. Just make sure you buy the deep cycle and not a starting battery. Always recharge after every use. Don't leave it sitting around half charged because that does nothing for the longevity of the battery. Wait till they go on sale and you can get them for under 100.00

Stopes

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »

I have a inflatable fish hunter (middle size) and a 12' fibre glass car topper. I have 2 interstates 550 CA 12 v deep cycles with a 55 lbs thrust mini kota. I bought 2 batteries for my weekend trips and I have a 100 w solar panel.

With the fish hunter boat,  the 1 battery  lasts all day and a few hrs the next day on low speed with just me . My 12' car topper I usually have my 3 yr boy and wife or a buddy with me with all the gear and 1 battery on low speed last me 6 hrs at least. My batteries are going on 4 yrs.

Just learn to take care of batteries and they will last a very long time. I think I spent around $110 with tax and with a discount.
I also have a couple buddies who have with Nautilus batteries form canadian tire and they work well. I know I use mine a lot more then them.

Suther

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »

That seems odd as you would figure that would be more for cold starting a larger motor than the sustained power of a deep cycle battery. I think my buddy has an extra one of those. Maybe he will let me take it for a spin and see if it will work for me.

Next time I talk to my dad I'll get the details... All I know for sure is it fits into a black plastic battery case, and weighs about 70 pounds.

Also, I know very little about it, but dont big rigs these days often have a TV, lights, ect in the back of the cab?  they might use a two-battery system, with that run off a secondary deep-cycle battery, and the engine off a normal one? Just a guess... But I thought my dad said something about a truck battery when I almost tore my back out going to lift it thinking its a normal battery.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 07:51:58 PM »

Next time I talk to my dad I'll get the details... All I know for sure is it fits into a black plastic battery case, and weighs about 70 pounds.

Also, I know very little about it, but dont big rigs these days often have a TV, lights, ect in the back of the cab?  they might use a two-battery system, with that run off a secondary deep-cycle battery, and the engine off a normal one? Just a guess... But I thought my dad said something about a truck battery when I almost tore my back out going to lift it thinking its a normal battery.
Big rigs use 3 group 31 starting batteries for the truck and 2 group 31 deep cycle batteries for the house.
Buy the biggest deep cycle battery you are willing to carry to the boat.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:52:59 PM by canso »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »

x2 on the Wal Mart deepcycle.
Decent battery for a good price.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »

The problem probably has more to do with the motor technology than the battery.

More advanced Minn Kota motors use Maximizer (older) or Traxxis (newer) technology that uses 1/10 the power of an Endura motor (it "pulses" the power to the motor instead of a constant flow).

I use a standard size deep cycle battery and it lasts several days even with significant trolling.

Probably doesn't help you as the cost is pretty high on these models - $350 & up.
Check Craigslist for used models.

Ambassador

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »

The problem probably has more to do with the motor technology than the battery.

More advanced Minn Kota motors use Maximizer (older) or Traxxis (newer) technology that uses 1/10 the power of an Endura motor (it "pulses" the power to the motor instead of a constant flow).

I use a standard size deep cycle battery and it lasts several days even with significant trolling.

Probably doesn't help you as the cost is pretty high on these models - $350 & up.
Check Craigslist for used models.
That is really interesting. I never considered that it may be the motor itself (it is an older Motor Guide - I assume it has similar power drain to the Endura.) I love the idea of being able to get several days out of the battery for multi-day trips. The peace of mind knowing I could get back across the lake safely would be worth bucking up for.
Roderick Haig-Brown

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 09:12:05 PM »

If I troll all day  I pretty much use up a battery if not more.
14 ft Lund
40 lb MinnKota with Maximixer.