Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any River Drifters here?  (Read 15004 times)

Ian Forbes

Re: Any River Drifters here?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 10:44:13 PM »

I also Hot shotted for hoes when drifting the Nanaimo river way back when. Man was that ever a lot of fun! Thanx for bringing back those memories... ;D

Too bad our series of BC and Federal governments do not, and have not, valued the steelhead. The steelhead is the canary in the mine and our governments have not recognized that.

TNAngler

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 08:39:21 AM »

I also Hot shotted for hoes when drifting the Nanaimo river way back when. Man was that ever a lot of fun! Thanx for bringing back those memories... ;D

I would assume hoes would be the same as steelhead, they absolutely KILL the thing.

Welcome.  I think about it often when I am missing fishing.

Suther

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 04:06:26 PM »

So what are viable rivers for floating?
I would think Stave is too short?
Canal seems like there would be too many shore anglers in the way?
Fraser too big?
Squamish too eratic?

What do people prefer to use? I already have a kayak that I could outfit for the job, but I was thinking about getting a belly boat 'cause they can be super-cheap on craigslist, and I figured that would allow me to steer with my feet so I can focus my hands on fishing not paddling? but that leaves me legs in harms way when it comes to rocks, ect....

CoastRider

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »

Fraser too big?
Squamish too eratic?

What do people prefer to use? I already have a kayak that I could outfit for the job, but I was thinking about getting a belly boat 'cause they can be super-cheap on craigslist, and I figured that would allow me to steer with my feet so I can focus my hands on fishing not paddling? but that leaves me legs in harms way when it comes to rocks, ect....

Stave is a great river to drift in my opinion, I take my pontoon there quite often!
It might not be the normal type of drift where you put in and take out 5km down, but getting in for a drift gives you access to many spots shore anglers cant get to. Definitely a great way to get away from the crowds. It is also a pretty easy river to do your first drifts on, lots of slow water and many channels to explore... It is easy to go back up some areas to try other channels. This was the first river i dropped my pontoon into!

Ian Forbes

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »

Fraser too big?
Squamish too eratic?

Don't drift rivers in a belly boat of any description. It's dangerous. Pontoons are ideal if you use a combination of oars and fins, unless you only want the pontoon for transportation and you are going to get out to fish.

Also, don't anchor a pontoon in any kind of current. That is also dangerous unless the pontoon is at least 11 feet long.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »

Don't drift rivers in a belly boat of any description. It's dangerous. Pontoons are ideal if you use a combination of oars and fins, unless you only want the pontoon for transportation and you are going to get out to fish.

Also, don't anchor a pontoon in any kind of current. That is also dangerous unless the pontoon is at least 11 feet long.
Read one of your excellent articles in B.C Outdoors about rafting the Gold. Did u ever tackle the Salmon, Nimpkish or Nahwitti ?

TheFishingLad

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »

Hmmm. I need to find a way to rig a pontoon to my 2 door neon before i get rid of the kayak....

Anyone got a welder?!?!

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 10:33:12 PM »

Hmmm. I need to find a way to rig a pontoon to my 2 door neon before i get rid of the kayak....

Anyone got a welder?!?!

Ratchet straps, hook them to the oh poop handles lol
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Suther

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 12:25:48 AM »

Anyone got a welder?!?!

I have a welder! Just get an older roof rack, the style that's adjustable to fit any width of car and sticks out on the sides.

How small does a pontoon boat go anyways?

Also what's so dangerous about floating in a belly boat? Obviously you wouldn't want to be going down rapids, but a slower river like the harrison is what I was thinking? I have a kayak for real rivers...

labmik

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 02:59:11 PM »

I have a 17' Willie drift boat and a 14' Maravia Raft.  Mostly I do float trips in the States, using the raft for anything over class III.  When steelhead fishing, I mostly backtroll plugs or side drift roe/wool.  I've learned several drifts so well that I fish them at night with Brads lighted plugs and absolutely slay them. 

Speyfitter

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 07:31:46 PM »

I'm just wondering when we're gonna see Rodney Hsu in his Outcast power drifter again on a river near you?

Ian Forbes

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 12:53:20 AM »

Read one of your excellent articles in B.C Outdoors about rafting the Gold. Did u ever tackle the Salmon, Nimpkish or Nahwitti ?

I have drifted several sections of the Nimpkish at different times and went through one place in my raft that I definitely shouldn't have. I found out later that it had a portage route around that hole in a canyon with a boulder blocking the entrance. Thankfully we survived but I wasn't sure we were going to make it. I've drifted most of the Salmon River to tide water and the only problems were getting around log jambs in the upper river. I've walked the Nahwitti from the end of the logging road to the ocean beach, but that was a long time ago and the logging road has extended even further towards the coast now. I've done the same on the Stranby and I'm sure logging roads have carved into that valley as well.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 12:30:58 AM »

I'm just wondering when we're gonna see Rodney Hsu in his Outcast power drifter again on a river near you?

I'm not sure that's such a good idea…. For entertainment purpose maybe. Educational, not so much, unless the demonstration is on what not to do...

Speyfitter

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 10:26:19 PM »

Rod, I heard through the grapevine that you haven't drifted since the Elk on your video which was your first time out drifting a river if I'm not mistaken? You should bring the family out to the Kettle/Granby Drift in July and camp out with us- much gentler and better for beginners. Not saying I have tons of experience but it was  a great place for myself to cut my teeth and it's  a great family atomsphere with lots of board members out for a few days. I found that after having done those first few drifts on the Kettle/Granby, I then drifted the Elk a few weeks later and I found the Elk a good step up from the Kettle/Granby drifts (and then after the Elk did the Thompson and that was another step up from the Elk drifts I did, and then after that I did the Chilliwack for our 'toon course which was a blast).

Ian Forbes

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 10:40:55 PM »

I agree with that, Speyfitter. The Grand Forks outing is great one... even for people who don't fish.