Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Milner Talisman  (Read 13218 times)

brownmancheng

Re: Milner Talisman
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »

I'll most likely get blasted for this response. Especially since I have very few posts. I think the reaction to the original poster's question was way over the top. Big deal the guy doesn't know how the clicker works. This gets you so fired up you need to draw up a lengthy response that makes him out to be an idiot. I think you may need to take a step back from the computer and have a reality check. There are some pretty horrible things in the world worth getting worked up about. A clicker on a fancy fishing reel isn't one if them.

Some things in life are worth being worked up about. A clicker is not on my list, may be on a few forum members tho;)

rustybee

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 10:58:07 PM »

How long a centerpin reel spins has nothing to do with the quality of the reel, all it shows is the quality of the bearing. Talisman reels are a very high quality hand built reel, you get what you pay for, I know as I have had 3 of them and one was a custom order. There are some other centrepin reels out there that are commanding a very high price due to low #'s built and the quality, Clough is one comes to mind and the last I saw sold went for $3500 US. Rustybee, congrats on your new reel, you will enjoy it!

Thanks! Went out after work today and fished the Squamish. Quiet day and I think Chum season there has finally come to an end. Enjoyed the reel though. Balances better IMHO on the Sage CP3113MB than either the Kingfisher or the Islander. My last hookup was a 25lb male that decided to take off like a Spring down river, and it was nice knowing I had plenty of backing left on the Talisman when it finally decided to slow down.  ;D

$3500 for a Clough? Yikes! And I thought my "gear collecting habits" were bad.... LOL.  :)

Speaking of addictions. 3 Talisman? You must have quite the collection of reels! BTW, mind if I ask what customization you had done on your Talisman?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:01:53 PM by rustybee »

Ian Forbes

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 11:05:43 PM »

I'll most likely get blasted for this response. Especially since I have very few posts. I think the reaction to the original poster's question was way over the top. Big deal the guy doesn't know how the clicker works. This gets you so fired up you need to draw up a lengthy response that makes him out to be an idiot. I think you may need to take a step back from the computer and have a reality check. There are some pretty horrible things in the world worth getting worked up about. A clicker on a fancy fishing reel isn't one if them.

My thoughts exactly. I just "bought" this pretty lady and her "clicker" only works one way. Should I get a refund?

Center-pin reels are only for chucking guts at fish anyway. Why all the big to-do about it? Some folk buy Mercedes cars and BMWs just to impress other people, when a Yugo would serve their needs just as well.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:09:47 PM by Ian Forbes »

kanuckle head

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 12:55:50 AM »

My thoughts exactly. I just "bought" this pretty lady and her "clicker" only works one way. Should I get a refund?

Center-pin reels are only for chucking guts at fish anyway. Why all the big to-do about it? Some folk buy Mercedes cars and BMWs just to impress other people, when a Yugo would serve their needs just as well.
A Yogo will only attract UGLY girls............ ;D
Milners Reels are gems that will only appreciate by time till the maker stops making, then the price of the reel will skyrocket!!

Works of art IMO
Kh 

Pin-nook

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 09:04:24 AM »

I'll most likely get blasted for this response. Especially since I have very few posts.

BOOOOOM!!!! :)

$3500 for a Clough? Yikes! And I thought my "gear collecting habits" were bad.... LOL.  :)

BTW, mind if I ask what customization you had done on your Talisman?

I have a couple friends that collect centerpins and both have a Clough, 1 of them has an Anniversary Edition that a similar reel sold well over $6000. I personally don't like the idea of a centerpin with a drag system but if there's a need I guess people will pay for it!

rustybee, pretty much all the Milner reels are custom being that each one is individually hand made but there are certain things that people ask for when ordering direct from John.  I had a specially made Kingfisher with unique porting and at the time I sent John numerous patterns that he shot down because he wanted to stay classic and now he makes them with a bunch of his reels, go figure! I also have others with something unique about them because I guess I didn't want the same as the next guy.

Tommybuckles,

That first reply was actually intended for you! ;)  Well, that latter part of that reply anyway! Yeah...I'm passionate about the sport I love and yeah I'm a gear whore! Small details matter to me and I can appreciate the fact that he responded the way he did and respect him for it now. I didn't say he was an idiot just that spending more than the average and he didn't know how the reel worked...hmmm kinda odd? So now I think
you may need to take a step back from the computer and have a reality check.

;D ....this pot is getting hot! ;D

jimmywits

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 09:15:41 AM »

well stated, why rain on a guy's parade over something so petty ?

Tommybuckles

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »

Pin-nook,

I'm not going to engage in an online battle of semantics. All I'm saying is settle down. The guy just wanted some details on a centrepin that he was excited about. Who cares.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 12:06:47 PM »

X2
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Pin-nook

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 12:18:19 PM »

X3

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »

X3

Pin-nook you're the one who tore into him... :o ::)
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »

There was a reason why the old Hardy Jewels, Supers and Superbas were so popular in the old days. They worked as intended and were reliable. They also gained in value as the years went by. 60 years later they still do the same job as the day they were first made. The Islanders and Milners were basically copies of the same Hardy design, but made in much fewer numbers... and hence the greater cost.

A reel that spins too easily at the start is far more difficult to get used to. The Hardy reels and the Milners have a little bit of tension when beginning a cast. That bit of tension prevents over spin and line tangles as the power stoke speeds up, and the finger can be removed from the reel until the cast is well underway and the lure starts to slow down. Then, the finger just lightly feathers the spinning reel to a point when you want to stop it.

Silex-user

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »

There was a reason why the old Hardy Jewels, Supers and Superbas were so popular in the old days. They worked as intended and were reliable. They also gained in value as the years went by. 60 years later they still do the same job as the day they were first made. The Islanders and Milners were basically copies of the same Hardy design, but made in much fewer numbers... and hence the greater cost.

A reel that spins too easily at the start is far more difficult to get used to. The Hardy reels and the Milners have a little bit of tension when beginning a cast. That bit of tension prevents over spin and line tangles as the power stoke speeds up, and the finger can be removed from the reel until the cast is well underway and the lure starts to slow down. Then, the finger just lightly feathers the spinning reel to a point when you want to stop it.

X2
There is also a 4" classic Silex Major which I have. It is lot fun to cast with holding trigger up and slightly put my finger to stop  spool from  casting any further.

I guess I am just old school.......just love my Silex reels. ;D

Silex-user

opwins

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 08:03:25 PM »

Congrats on the purchase!!  Enjoy  ;D

rustybee

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »

Congrats on the purchase!!  Enjoy  ;D

Thanks! Got my eye now on a Milner Wraith after playing with one yesterday.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:11:26 PM by rustybee »

c-pin

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »

Thanks! Got my eye now on a Milner Wraith after playing with one yesterday.  ;D

Where does the Wraith fit in the Snipe / Kingfisher / Talisman series ??
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty