Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Milner Talisman  (Read 13219 times)

rustybee

Milner Talisman
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »

Just bite the bullet and picked up a RH Milner Talisman this afternoon. Anyone knows if with the clicker turned on, that the reel clicks both ways? Mine seems to only click in one particular direction unlike my kingfisher which clicks either way. Thanks in advance for any info.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: Milner Talisman
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:28:02 PM »

Just bite the bullet and picked up a RH Milner Talisman this afternoon. Anyone knows if with the clicker turned on, that the reel clicks both ways? Mine seems to only click in one particular direction unlike my kingfisher which clicks either way. Thanks in advance for any info.

Talisman only clicks one way.   

fishing4salmon

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:07:59 PM »

It is design this way so when you have a fish on and the clicker engage, it only click when fish pull the line and not when you retrieve

rustybee

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:40:19 AM »

Thanks for the intel Fellas!

Pin-nook

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:09:18 AM »

Wow....you bit the bullet and bought a really expensive reel and yet you know nothing of it's operation ::)? It's like me saying that I bought a Sage 3113MB but I see that Fred's has a green one and mine is brown, mine must be fake!

Most people start out buying a starter reel or something a bit more expensive but you just decided you're gonna just get a Talisman!  OH WAIT....somethings wrong with the clicker??  Must be nice to just go out and buy an $800+ reel not knowing anything about it!

Sorry but I'm starting to find it annoying that people really don't do the research on things.  I understand that most people on this site are on here for info but c'mon, at some point people have to figure it out for themselves! Seriously though, I'm starting to think the reason people are seeing mistreatment of fish and the accidental retention of wild coho or steelhead is the lack of research.

Sorry for venting, it's probably just me but I would like to know everything about the things I purchase!

rustybee

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 08:32:10 AM »

Wow....you bit the bullet and bought a really expensive reel and yet you know nothing of it's operation ::)? It's like me saying that I bought a Sage 3113MB but I see that Fred's has a green one and mine is brown, mine must be fake!

Most people start out buying a starter reel or something a bit more expensive but you just decided you're gonna just get a Talisman!  OH WAIT....somethings wrong with the clicker??  Must be nice to just go out and buy an $800+ reel not knowing anything about it!

Sorry but I'm starting to find it annoying that people really don't do the research on things.  I understand that most people on this site are on here for info but c'mon, at some point people have to figure it out for themselves! Seriously though, I'm starting to think the reason people are seeing mistreatment of fish and the accidental retention of wild coho or steelhead is the lack of research.

Sorry for venting, it's probably just me but I would like to know everything about the things I purchase!

Already own a Islander Steelheader and a Milner Kingfisher. Made the assumption that the clicker would work the same, since I wasn't able to get a hold of an in store sample before I ordered the reel. This is despite, having spent enough hours shifting through threads on this reel.

I'm okay with you jumping all over me when it comes to not doing enough research before making the leap.  But please don't be ignorant and make the assumption that such an oversight correlates to ignorance in handling fish or protecting our shared environment.

Might want to rethink such broad based assumptions as it can't be good for day to day interactions with people in general. Tight lines.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:39:01 AM by rustybee »

fisherforever

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:41:21 AM »

Already own a Islander Steelheader and a Milner Kingfisher. Made the assumption that the clicker would work the same, since I wasn't able to get a hold of an in store sample before I ordered the reel. This is despite, having spent enough hours shifting through threads on this reel.

I'm okay with you jumping all over me when it comes to not doing enough research before making the leap.  But please don't be ignorant and make the assumption that such an oversight correlates to ignorance in handling fish or protecting our shared environment.

Might want to rethink such broad based assumptions as it can't be good for day to day interactions with people in general. Tight lines.
Good answer rustybee. Too often people post without taking time to read what they have written before hitting the post button. Many times I have typed out a reply but then read it and decided not to post because it just stirs the pot.

Pin-nook

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »

LOL...I actually did rethink and reread what I was going to post but hey I'm not the guy that bought a really expensive reel and didn't realize it came with a silent retrieve! Yes it's minor details and yes I did kinda assume but you know what, I rather assume and be proven wrong than someone that is caught off guard and stunned! Reminds me of a guy I fished near a couple years ago, I said nice reel and the guy says yeah it's the best...it's a John Kingfisher ;D!! Really eh...that's pretty sweet, oh by the way you have 4 coho there and the limit is 2! The guy clearly didn't read the regs buy yet he was gung-ho talking about his reel.

I shouldn't have assumed and perhaps I was just generalizing but if you are spending all that money on an above average priced reel and posting on this site asking about it, I'm sorry but my ignorance has some substance!

Anyone knows if with the clicker turned on, that the reel clicks both ways? Mine seems to only click in one particular direction unlike my kingfisher which clicks either way. Thanks in advance for any info.

It's pretty funny though!

rustybee

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »

Good answer rustybee. Too often people post without taking time to read what they have written before hitting the post button. Many times I have typed out a reply but then read it and decided not to post because it just stirs the pot.

Haha. Comes with age and experience. Been there and made my share of foul ups too.  ;D

rustybee

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »

LOL...I actually did rethink and reread what I was going to post but hey I'm not the guy that bought a really expensive reel and didn't realize it came with a silent retrieve! Yes it's minor details and yes I did kinda assume but you know what, I rather assume and be proven wrong than someone that is caught off guard and stunned! Reminds me of a guy I fished near a couple years ago, I said nice reel and the guy says yeah it's the best...it's a John Kingfisher ;D!! Really eh...that's pretty sweet, oh by the way you have 4 coho there and the limit is 2! The guy clearly didn't read the regs buy yet he was gung-ho talking about his reel.

I shouldn't have assumed and perhaps I was just generalizing but if you are spending all that money on an above average priced reel and posting on this site asking about it, I'm sorry but my ignorance has some substance!

It's pretty funny though!

Ha. Ha. No harm no foul. Apology accepted. Tight lines.

Pin-nook

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:33:12 AM »

:)

Enjoy the reel rustybee, I use a 4" from time to time but most times I stress about which reel/rod combo I wanna fish that day ;D ;)!!

Ambassador

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »

$800 reel?!? Wow. That must be some salmon slayer for that price.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Suther

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 11:52:49 AM »

$800 reel?!? Wow. That must be some salmon slayer for that price.

Lol I wonder how long this thing would keep spinning before resistances finally stopped it...

You should time all three reels you have. That would be interesting.

fisherforever

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 12:15:08 PM »

How long a centerpin reel spins has nothing to do with the quality of the reel, all it shows is the quality of the bearing. Talisman reels are a very high quality hand built reel, you get what you pay for, I know as I have had 3 of them and one was a custom order. There are some other centrepin reels out there that are commanding a very high price due to low #'s built and the quality, Clough is one comes to mind and the last I saw sold went for $3500 US. Rustybee, congrats on your new reel, you will enjoy it!

Tommybuckles

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »

I'll most likely get blasted for this response. Especially since I have very few posts. I think the reaction to the original poster's question was way over the top. Big deal the guy doesn't know how the clicker works. This gets you so fired up you need to draw up a lengthy response that makes him out to be an idiot. I think you may need to take a step back from the computer and have a reality check. There are some pretty horrible things in the world worth getting worked up about. A clicker on a fancy fishing reel isn't one if them.