Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proposed changes in steelhead management on Thompson River  (Read 5489 times)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Proposed changes in steelhead management on Thompson River
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »

A band-aid fix as usual by MoE and DFO  :'( These fish will be gone in no time, just give it a few more years...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

sim

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »

a good move - the bait ban - in a flow of unbelievable and misleading administrative language to disguise a lack of real management
.... "the stock has been closely monitored"....
2013 opening is based on 7 steelheads caught at the Albion Test Fisheries that magically convert into a forecast of more than 850 fish in the Thompson...
You need to be very good in statistics - or administrative language - to convince anybody that this rationale can work.
oh... and ocean survival is bad these days? Not for other summer runs btw, but it doesn't matter, as long as we say it's somebody else's fault...
like catching, love releasing

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:41:21 PM »

a good move - the bait ban - in a flow of unbelievable and misleading administrative language to disguise a lack of real management
.... "the stock has been closely monitored"....
2013 opening is based on 7 steelheads caught at the Albion Test Fisheries that magically convert into a forecast of more than 850 fish in the Thompson...
You need to be very good in statistics - or administrative language - to convince anybody that this rationale can work.
oh... and ocean survival is bad these days? Not for other summer runs btw, but it doesn't matter, as long as we say it's somebody else's fault...

If you are going to talk like you have a clue why don't you actually look up how many Thompson fish were caught in the test nets! The Chinook net which has a larger mesh size took 7 fish, and the smaller mesh size Chum net took 27 fish. Not to mention 14 in the Whonnock nets (which don't count towards the opening. There were quite a few fish coming through, enough to prompt us to fish it the end of September.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 08:49:55 PM »

There were quite a few fish coming through, enough to prompt us to fish it the end of September.

I was going to say....
I don't fish the Thompson much, maybe once a year if I'm home and it opens...
I thought there were a tonne of fish around, and that 850 would be an under-estimate.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:36:26 AM »

I was going to say....
I don't fish the Thompson much, maybe once a year if I'm home and it opens...
I thought there were a tonne of fish around, and that 850 would be an under-estimate.
Bio told me they estimate 1,200.

I am OK with the bait ban but is not the solution to increasing the number of fish in the system.

Most likely just a lobby by some other that fish the system.

Hatchery staff that handle the brood stock program will tell you very little of steelhead are mort's in the program with most all taken by bait. Buck may wish to comment on this.

sim

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 11:17:16 AM »

a little hindsight on the Thompson steelhead opening, that shows how DFO based his decision on
http://ariverneversleeps.com/lethal-gear/
like catching, love releasing

firebird

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »

Hatchery staff that handle the brood stock program will tell you very little of steelhead are mort's in the program with most all taken by bait. Buck may wish to comment on this.

Yes, but the broodstock anglers are all old ... er, experienced, pro's  ;)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 12:59:19 PM »

Yes, but the broodstock anglers are all old ... er, experienced, pro's  ;)

Not on all the systems...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

firebird

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 01:06:32 PM »

Although not addressed in the rationale of the VO, the bait ban should also reduce the multiple catches of individual fish, thus reducing overall stress and, potentially, mortality. A friend using bait at Lytton last year caught the same fish twice within 10 mins!

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »

I've caught the same steelhead twice in two casts on the thompson,  even caugt it two more times over the next few days.......kinda funny though

I was using my fly rod......thought they don't bite flies twice?

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 11:48:10 PM »

I've caught the same steelhead twice in two casts on the thompson,  even caugt it two more times over the next few days.......kinda funny though

I was using my fly rod......thought they don't bite flies twice?

LOL Jimmy. Let the kids figure it out as they have all the answers anyways!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Burbot

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 10:54:25 AM »

If they were serious they would close the whole river down when the steelhead pass through instead of allowing the vocal elite to fish it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »

If they were serious they would close the whole river down when the steelhead pass through instead of allowing the vocal elite to fish it.
Better to have the eyes and ears on the river as it controls the poaching somewhat.

Also there is other factors that I am sure you are aware of that make more impact the the anglers. They need to be addressed but government does not put the funds towards it but the civil servants that are there are doing the best they can Also groups like the Steelhead Society do an excellent job in working on projects in the Thompson River watershed,http://www.steelheadsociety.org/news/coldwater-river-habitat-restoration-project I hope you help out in some way or have joined them which I am guilty of not doing to date or attend  their fundraisers, hats to all that do.

One positive, the runs appears to be recovering slowly but surly from the reports I am getting..