Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: P-line cx premium or Suffix Elite?  (Read 9277 times)

fishman1

P-line cx premium or Suffix Elite?
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »

Looking to respool my Luna 253.  I have always used 15 lb ultra green for use on the Vedder etc for coho/steelhead.  Looking at the pline cx premium or Suffix elite.

Any thoughts on these two??

Thanks

Fishawn

Re: P-line cx premium or Suffix Elite?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »

Haven't tried the Sufix on a baitcaster (only on a spinning reel), but I have used the P-line on my level wind and I prefer it to Maxima.

zap brannigan

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:05:34 PM »

got p-line on one of my pins and i quite like it.

Fishawn

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:11:03 PM »

got p-line on one of my pins and i quite like it.
Sorry to hijack, but Zap, do you prefer the P-line to maxima chameleon for your pin?

zap brannigan

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 11:20:01 PM »

ive used chameleon in the past and i do like it just dont like the colour of it, so i prefer the p-line and ultra green.

the p-line is nice and strong and it fishes well on the pin.

koko

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:12:04 AM »

where can you buy P-Line?

brandooner

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »

P line is where its at!
The Fishin' Musician!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:23:56 AM »

where can you buy P-Line?

Most tackle shops

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 05:25:50 PM »

Fred's doesn't carry it. Go to Wholesale in Langley or A&N. I used P-Line CXX-Xtra strong this year in 17lb and 20lb on two different level winds and love it! As good as Maxima UG in my opinion. In fact I find it is more durable. The UG might cast a bit nicer. The CXX is a fair bit cheaper too :)

I havent tried it for leaders as the breaking strength is too much for my liking. I still use UG for leaders.

CoastRider

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »

I have tried P-line and was not a fan, i found it was damaged quite easily and would break very quickly. I prefer Stren (17lb) for my baitcasters. Great line, with a blue tinge so you can see it easily out of the water but nearly invisible underwater. It is especially useful for spoon/spinner fishing as you can see where your line enters the water and helps to know where your spoon/spinner is sitting judging by the angle.

Zackattack

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 06:56:19 PM »

I have tried P-line and was not a fan, i found it was damaged quite easily and would break very quickly. I prefer Stren (17lb) for my baitcasters. Great line, with a blue tinge so you can see it easily out of the water but nearly invisible underwater. It is especially useful for spoon/spinner fishing as you can see where your line enters the water and helps to know where your spoon/spinner is sitting judging by the angle.

ya stren is best bang for buck mono. also available in low vis green. like 6 or 7 bucks a spool cndian tire or walmart
berkely trilene xl is awesome mono tho for levelwinds to tho. not stealthy as its white but casts well and hAs little memory
stAy away from pline fluoro as mainline for same reasons as listed above and $$
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:57:58 PM by Zackattack »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 07:18:46 PM »

Were you using the CXX-Xtra strong? A lot of guy on here reccomended it and after trying it this entire salmon season I can honesty say it rocks. Did not have my mainline break once. It also seemed to discolor less than UG. With UG the few feet above my swivel seemed to get nicked up + discolored pretty easily and I normally snipped off 5 feet+/- after each outing and retied. With the CXX I found myself only doing this every 4-5 trips.

Is it the Stren clear blue flourescent you're talking about? I've heard good things about it but never tried it.

MoeJKU

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 08:57:05 AM »

I tried it this whole salmon season and i like it.  Seems to fish great and it hold up good. Going to see if i can make it steelhead season with it as well.  Mono mainline, flouro leader.

zap brannigan

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »

Flouro gets expensive quickly, save it for low/clear conditions and use mono most other days, steelhead aren't leader shy with a good presentation.

CoastRider

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 05:08:37 PM »

Were you using the CXX-Xtra strong? A lot of guy on here reccomended it and after trying it this entire salmon season I can honesty say it rocks. Did not have my mainline break once. It also seemed to discolor less than UG. With UG the few feet above my swivel seemed to get nicked up + discolored pretty easily and I normally snipped off 5 feet+/- after each outing and retied. With the CXX I found myself only doing this every 4-5 trips.

Is it the Stren clear blue flourescent you're talking about? I've heard good things about it but never tried it.

I don't recall which P-line it was but I had a bad experience so steered clear of it for a while and found Stren to be my favourite line for spoons/spinners and liked it for drift fishing as well. There are so many line options on the market that you'll be happy with 80% of the possibilities. It all depends on what you are fishing for and what you are hoping for out of your line. Ive found stren to be very abrasion resistant which I like because i tend to fish in rivers with lots of under water structures