Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to buy good flies  (Read 9973 times)

fisherforever

Re: Where to buy good flies
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »

Start tying your own, lots of fun, super addicting and theres nothin better than catchin fish on your own flies!
X2 on this. Here's my bench and just a portion of a 4' by 2' peg board full of material (I've got 3 of those boards hanging on the walls full of materials).

Alomar

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »

What materials are needed to make some salmon fry and stickleback imitations

brandooner

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »

Thats killer!!
The Fishin' Musician!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »

I cleaned the desk before taking the pic awhile back
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

MoeJKU

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 11:23:39 AM »

I cleaned the desk before taking the pic awhile back

I was going to say that thing is pretty clean almost looks as its a display only type bench. JK i wish i could keep mine clean  maybe its time for a bigger desk.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 09:02:17 AM »

I've tied my own for 60 years, and even before I fly fished. There are many good shops on the Lower Mainland that provide excellent quality flies. Three major suppliers for the world are just down the road from where I live in Chiang Mai. The quality control is excellent and probably better than most home tied flies.

That said, however, I still say part of the satisfaction of fly fishing is tying your own to suit your particular needs. I've lost count of the times where a travel tying kit has saved a trip for me.

There are many groups that teach beginners and help out with materials. You can actually spend very little for many patterns that cover 90% of your needs.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 08:53:51 AM »

Make sure you buy a good vice and basic tools (bobbin, bodkin, hackle pliers, scissors whip finisher). Invest some money  in that up front and you will profit in the long term. To start you only need to buy materials for the types of flies you intend to fish. Likewise with hooks. After that buy what you need as you start to tie more patterns and expand your horizons.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 09:51:16 AM »

Make sure you buy a good vice and basic tools (bobbin, bodkin, hackle pliers, scissors whip finisher). Invest some money  in that up front and you will profit in the long term. To start you only need to buy materials for the types of flies you intend to fish. Likewise with hooks. After that buy what you need as you start to tie more patterns and expand your horizons.

This is how I started and have only been tying 10yrs max. It adds up quickly when you fish for anything that swims !

Ralph does make a good point about buying quality tools, especially your Bobbins. I don't have expensive vises but my bobbins are top quality as are most of my tools

HOOK - finally in the market for a good quality rotary vise (my cheapy squeeks !)
Check out our new blog

fisherforever

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »

Take a look back at the pic I posted, hard to see but it's a Norvise, it's the cats azz. Only use my Regal for jigs now.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »

I've tried a Norvise out and don't like it. I also cant justify spending $500 on a vise  :o

I liked the Renzetti Traveler I tried out and probably what I will end up getting
Check out our new blog

fisherforever

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »

To each his own on the make of vises, ;D I tried a couple rotaries and sold them to buy the Norvise. BTW you can by the Norvise direct from Norm for $300 US.

Alomar

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 01:27:43 PM »

Would you guys know the quality of the vise and tools in the wapsi kit

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 05:22:29 PM »

I googled around a bit and I'm almost 100% this is the vise that comes in their tying kit

http://www.mudhole.com/Fly-Tying/Terra-Vises/TT-Challenger-Vise

Looks to be of ok quality. Good started vise, you shouldn't break the bank until you find out whether you like tying or not
Check out our new blog

Alomar

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »

Cheers bud,  I appreciate yours and everyone's advice

Ian Forbes

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2013, 07:19:39 PM »

You can tie a fly with nothing but your fingers and a pair of scissors. The vise is optional and just makes things easier with smaller hooks. For over a century, Professional fly tiers for Hardy Brothers tied intricate Atlantic salmon flies with no vise. I can still do it and I'm 74.

That said, however, a reasonable quality vice makes it easier, but you don't need to break the bank on an expensive vice. I believe you can buy a Dan-vice for around $100. If you want to graduate to an expensive vice later, the cheaper one will never go to waste. It will be handy for a travel kit where you only tie a few patterns, but ones you really need at the time.