Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cap June 9th  (Read 2355 times)

tsuribaka

• I'm a llama!
Cap June 9th
« on: June 10, 2004, 01:36:37 AM »

Anyone elso notice its been pretty slow at the Cap recently??  As I am new to fishing there I dont know the river much, but its getting really frustrating spending so much time with so little action.  I have put in a lot of hours up there and have nothing to show for it since landing a nice one a month or so ago.  I have tried everything in the book and just cant seem to get em. And I have seen only 2 other guys land a fish in all my time there!  Is it always this slow up there?
 That being said, I seen quite a few nice fish all in shallow water and not moving a lot today.  I was able to drag row, flies, spinner and spoons infront of their faces and they didnt even sniff at it...  also saw what I thought were 2 fish together but acutally turned out to be one HUGE mama!!  Not sure if it was a Coho or not.  Could it be a steelhead or different salmon??  I think it was too bug for one of these bluebacks!
Also, Is this Coho run full on now or can we expect it to pick up a little more in the next few weeks??  Coming from the Kootenays its strange to spend so much time on a body of water without having much action..  or maybe its something I am doing wrong hahah??? ???

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re:Cap June 9th
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 07:46:05 AM »

Hi tsuribaka, no, you got it about right. I've been fishing the ole Capper for a good many years and many, many times it's a waiting game. A run comes into
where you're fishing and good times for all, but if a run does'nt show up it can be a long, slow agonizing time for those not mentally prepared. By that I mean take the opportunity of the slow time to enjoy what Mother Nature has given us. The birds, the trees and rocks, beautiful water and a great time to chat with friends and enjoy a good laugh. I have been to the Cap every single week since mid-March and left without fish many
times, but I always have a great time. Even when I go by myself I'll bring a book, fish a little, read a little and sometimes just sit in wonder at the beauty. By the way
those two large fish you saw very well could be steelhead as there are still some late run in the river. I
caught a 10LB. hatchery just three weeks ago and boy was she Yummy. Just Kidding  ;D. You cannot keep any steelhead, hatchery or wild in the Cap but I bet I had more than a few raised eye brows,hee,hee. Well tsuribaka I hope this helps you and I wish you Good luck the next time you visit the Cap. Bye the buy, the coho run will get a little better in coming weeks, depends a lot on the water flow. If it's high more fish move in, if it's low, less can move in. Play the tides.