Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help! Wanting to tie my own jigs...  (Read 22437 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Help! Wanting to tie my own jigs...
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2013, 05:51:08 PM »

Weird, I would think any brand sold by a good fly shop should be fine. Most of mine is from Fred's and Sea Run and never had an issue.

Question for ya'll: I'm assuming you are using STRUNG marabou for palmering on jigs? I would think wooly bugger or other kinds of marabou would be too short.

Was out fishing this morn on the Vedder canal. Was using mainly a jig I copied from Bent Rods. Purple cross cut rabbit body and pink schlappen collar. That's it! Oh and the head is a brass bead on a pin. I was into many chum and to my surprise a massive (12-13lb I'd guess) hatchery buck coho that was pure chrome. It fought so hard for a while I thought it was another chum.

Oh I was also using little pieces of raw prawn on the hook tip - dynamite!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2013, 10:40:21 AM »

I was down to the last few feathers in a pack of marabou so I ended tieing a jig with maybe 2 small plumes in it.  For my twitching jigs I usually use 2-3 full/large plumes.

Anyhow the "skimpy" jig KILLED the chum yesterday.  I hits 7 in one upper river pool and maybe 15 in a lower river spot.  I went 7 fish in 8 casts!  I also hit 7 coho twitching my jigs.

anyhow this chum slaying jig was being floated vs twitched and I was wondering if a jig meant for floating can/should be smaller than a jig tied for twitching?   I should have put on a fuller bodied jig just to see if it made a difference but I was having too much fun.

So how much marabou do you usually tie into a jig's tail?

PS - 3/4 of the chum in the lower spot were chrome and had sea lice (including tail) so they were very fresh and fiesty!

MoeJKU

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »

I usually only use two marabou plums, usually 2 different colors. Then i tie them on 3/4 of the way back and then palmer the marabou towards the front. This is either done one color at a time or you can do two colors at once and it creates a different look.

jacked55

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »

Just curious while on the topic of tying your own jigs.
Does anyone here buy and melt their own lead to make the jig heads?
I saw a lead jig head mold at cabelas recently and was wondering about doing this process on your own.
Thanks.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »

don't under estimate a pink/purple jig for coho. I have seen many taken with them before

yes of course its strung marabou. It all comes that way but then you can buy regular stuff and then spey marabou that will be longer. Honestly with jigs I don't think you'll want the really long stuff
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »

I prefer the long stuff for twitching jigs..all the movement, I want as much body as possible.

I cast my own jigs.  Just ordered some 2/0 matzuo sickle hooks and I'll be casting a bunch up as soon as I get em. 

I think I may liquidate a mold so if you're looking, let me know.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »

I prefer the long stuff for twitching jigs..all the movement, I want as much body as possible.

I cast my own jigs.  Just ordered some 2/0 matzuo sickle hooks and I'll be casting a bunch up as soon as I get em. 

I think I may liquidate a mold so if you're looking, let me know.

Where are you ordering them from? I've had some troubles trying to source them out.
For heads - I've been using pencil lead, clipping a small piece of 1/4 tube in about 3/8" length, and drilling a hole through it and sliding it up onto a sickle hook. Very quick process, works very well. Very cost effective, the jigs don't look super pretty like the ones posted above; but the salmon this season haven't had any concerns.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »

ebay has everything one could need to make a quality jig.  I ordered 500 hooks so maybe a sell a bunch here.  Whats a bare lead jig head with a quality hook worth? 

MoeJKU

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »

Hopefully you end up with good hooks on them. That style never seems to have good hooks from my experience. Ive seen them sheer, and break.
Looks at what you paid for them per hook and then go from their on how much you want to sell them for.