Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gibbs sizing - why no consistency?  (Read 4980 times)

Suther

Gibbs sizing - why no consistency?
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:35:53 PM »

Anyone know why there is no consistency with sizing spoons from gibbs? Crocs come by weight, while Koho's just have a number (35, 45, ect) can anyone explain why this is?

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Gibbs sizing - why no consistency?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »

I don't know why, however here are the Koho weight specs from the website
SIZE    LENGTH    WEIGHT
#35     1 7/8"       3/8 oz
#45     2"             1/2 oz
#55     2 3/8"       3/4 oz
#65     2 7/8"       1 oz
#80      2 7/8"      1 1/2 oz

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:57:57 PM »

Good post Clarki. Very useful for many I'm sure. This has always peeved me off as well. Lures weight is stamed right on the crocs, but #35 etc on the koho's etc. Also I have some Ironhead spoons, which I'm almost certain are Gibbs too, and they have NO weight stamped on them >:( However, it's not that hard to compare it to several other spoons and figure out the ironhead's weight or very close to it.

Suther

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:38:55 PM »

Good post Clarki. Very useful for many I'm sure. This has always peeved me off as well. Lures weight is stamed right on the crocs, but #35 etc on the koho's etc. Also I have some Ironhead spoons, which I'm almost certain are Gibbs too, and they have NO weight stamped on them >:( However, it's not that hard to compare it to several other spoons and figure out the ironhead's weight or very close to it.
Kohos and kitamats are the same weight by size. Ironheads are 25% heavier. A 55 ironhead is 1oz, koho/kit is 3/4oz.

All info from gibbs website.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:45:36 AM »

Yes, Crocs, Ultra lures, kit-a-mat and Kohos are all Gibbs products, I have been on  the Pro Staff Team with Gibbs for over 10 years and never really thought about asking that question. I have forwarded the link to this thread to Syd Pallister owner of Gibbs so hopefully he will respond.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 10:25:33 AM »

Well here you go guys, makes sense to me  ::), hope this helps.

HI Vic – I don’t think I can reply directly to the blog so I will pass along this answer to you.

There is not a good reason for the numbering of many fishing lures, not just Gibbs. I grew up with Len Thompson lures and those numbers were completely messed up because the first one Grandpa built was the second biggest he ever made and he called it a #2. Then he built a #1, then an #0, then a number #00, etc. all smaller. Then he gave up and made a 6, 7 and 8 in smaller yet sizes. Only insiders understand the Len Thompson numbering system! The Gibbs Crocs make the most sense as they are stamped with weights. Most lures are stamped with sizes related to their overall lengths but again it will drive you crazy if you try to measure and match the lengths of the blades to the size numbers. The Koho and Kit-A-Mat lures were created by George Whatley, the second owner of Gibbs, and the secret of his numbering system was lost when he died in 2008.

We are in the process of updating all our stamping dies so the sizes and names are clearly marked on the lures. This will be a long process as there are so many different lures and sizes.

Best regards,

Syd Pallister, CA, CBV
CFO - Gibbs-Delta Tackle
Phone - 604-940-3474 (x106)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:00:40 AM by RA40 »

Suther

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »

Also it should be noted that crocs are also listed by size on the site, but they make sense - a #100 weighs 1oz, a #025 weighs 1/4oz ect. The others lack this simple consistency.

Ken D

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 11:20:07 PM »

Pray tell: when one measures a kitimat 35, how long is it? And how long is a Kitimat 80?
Measure both in millimeters. What's the findings? Spoon only, not the hook.
How about the koho spoons ? Are they the same ? Unsure. I only heard a story that the kitimat number was the mm length.

I will go to the sports shop tomorrow with my trusty lufkin tape and see. The koho spoons were the company's answer to the "Paravan Cocktail" from Norway... arguably the nicest spoon for steelhead ever. They went by weight, not length.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:27:21 PM by Ken D »

Suther

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 07:50:54 AM »

Pray tell: when one measures a kitimat 35, how long is it? And how long is a Kitimat 80?
Measure both in millimeters. What's the findings? Spoon only, not the hook.
How about the koho spoons ? Are they the same ? Unsure. I only heard a story that the kitimat number was the mm length.

I will go to the sports shop tomorrow with my trusty lufkin tape and see. The koho spoons were the company's answer to the "Paravan Cocktail" from Norway... arguably the nicest spoon for steelhead ever. They went by weight, not length.

specs for the Kitamat:

SIZE   LENGTH   WEIGHT
#32   1 1/4"   1/4 oz
#45   1 7/8"   1/2 oz
#55   2 3/8"   3/4 oz
#65   2 5/8"   1 oz
#80   3 1/4"   1 5/8 oz
#80H   3 1/4"   2 1/8 oz

Considering the difference in length from a 45 to a 55 is 1/2 an inch, its more like 12 mm. Also, the difference from 55 to 65 is only 1/4 inch, so like 6 mm in length.

So I think its safe to say your guess about millimeter sizing is no good.