Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: float fishing the Fraser?  (Read 1920 times)

smokedfish56

float fishing the Fraser?
« on: November 05, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »

I saw a fellow float fishing on the lower fraser this afternoon and it was an unfamiiar sight. I rarely ever see people float fishing the fraser usually I just see this on smaller streams such as the Capilano and vedder. Any thoughts on this? is it effetive on such a large system?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: float fishing the Fraser?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:56:21 PM »

I saw a guy doing it during the pink season.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:06:56 PM »

Float fishing (with roe) can be done along the Tidal Fraser River but you have to choose your spots wisely. Because salmon use the main stem of the Tidal Fraser River as a migratory corridor, fish do not stop and rest like they do in a small stream where runs and riffles exist. Fish are always on the move so the chance of these fish encountering your bait under the float in a big body of water is very small. With that said, there are places along the Tidal Fraser River where current is absent and fish will congregate for a short period of time. Places such as small bays, slough/creek mouths, sudden change in depth (from deep to shallow), etc. At these spots you can prevent your float from drifting away too fast so fish have a bigger chance of seeing your bait.

During the pink salmon season, some like to fish a spinner or spoon under a float by casting out and slowly retrieving.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/river_fishing/float_fishing_with_a_spinner.html

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »

It's done on the non-tidal section as well and is or was particular popularly at the mouth of creek mouths and rivers in the late spring and early summer for chinooks.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »

I have seen a couple people float fishing close to the mouth of tributaries off the Fraser....haven't seen much success that way..but I have seen it.