Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poaching urban lakes  (Read 3235 times)

bsmcrosseyed

Poaching urban lakes
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »

There needs to be better signs @ the urban lakes. Most don't know the new limit rules or care. Saw a couple guys pulling in past their limit @ Rice lake. Watched them gut it. There also should be signs @ the docks for regulations on crab fishing. Should be in several languages. It should say "If caught poaching, your car will be confiscated!" That'll discourage anybody! I want my descendants to keep fishing. Poachers are selfish and make all fishermen suffer in the long term.

zap brannigan

Re: Poaching urban lakes
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »

nothing new theres signs posted but most leave with as many as they feel fit.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »

or.... the signs just get torn down  :(

Fillibert

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »

Fish in urban lakes are stocked and will not reproduce so the future of the fishery is dependant on hatcheries and not on native stocks. So all that poaching does is limit the fishing season as fish get scooped out quicker. Not worried about conservation too much but I still believe the officers could write enough tickets in a week to fund the program all year if they only cared

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »

"If caught poaching, your car will be confiscated!"

As much as I love telling people about this, everyone knows it almost never happens.

Gear on the other hand gets taken a fair bit.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »

Fish in urban lakes are stocked and will not reproduce so the future of the fishery is dependant on hatcheries and not on native stocks. So all that poaching does is limit the fishing season as fish get scooped out quicker. Not worried about conservation too much but I still believe the officers could write enough tickets in a week to fund the program all year if they only cared
This

Although your frustration is justified, the only thing poaching will do is possibly make fisheries increase the number of fish in the lake. They are not wild, they are not threatened, there is no real dangerous consequence to poaching an urban lake. Its not right, but you bet I wont lose sleep over it. As long as we support our hatcheries and pay our license fees, there should continue to be fish in these places for your descendants. These arent Thompson Steelhead or anything.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »

These arent Thompson Steelhead or anything.

People get away with poaching on a lake....
They get bored of small trout and become unsatisfied with the meat they get...
They move to the Vedder and poach pinks... still no one cares, they get away with it, get bored...
And before you know it these are the yahoos that are out using bait on remote island rivers poaching steel.

Hit em where it hurts before it expands.
People watch other people, and think if those people get away with it, they can too.

Suther

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:36:30 AM »

My fishing license pays for those fish to be stocked. Makes me feel like I'm getting robbed by the poachers.

That said,  I know como lake has plenty of signage,  including a sign at each of two docks and other signs at each of two parking lots - so at least 4 signs and its a small lake. 1km walk to get the whole way around it.

RyanB

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »

There's only a handful of regulars at Rice Lake who blatantly break the rules.  The two Russians with the salmon rods are the worst offenders, taking 40 fish in one day.

There's one guy who chums with dog food, and two old guys who chum with shrimp.  The shrimp chummers never catch anything.

My biggest complaints about Rice Lake would be the occasional litterbug and the rock throwing during ice fishing season.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson