Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good mooching reel?  (Read 22441 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Good mooching reel?
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »

Hoping for some tips on an xmas present for my Dad. I know he wants a nice mooching reel but he hasn't dropped any hints on what he wants. The reel would be used primarily for trolling up in Prince Rupert for salmon. The odd time they hook into springs in the 35-40lb range so the reel needs to have a super good/smooth drag and be able to hold lots of line.

The only reel I'm famaliar with is the Rapala's North Coast mooching reel. I've seen it used on lots of fishing shows, however most are sponsored in part by Rapala (!) The upper range of my price range is $250ish plus tax.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/37613/rapala-north-coast-mooching-reel

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Re: Good mooching reel?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:36:31 PM »

Although I don't own it anymore, I've used the Daiwa M-One mooching reel since the early 1990's while salmon fishing on a boat near Gambier Island. When paired with a decent mooching rod, it's an awesome setup for slow trolling or jigging with a Zzinger as I've caught numerous fish with the reel. It's a tough and reliable reel. You can get one for about 60 dollars Canadian right now and the reel capacity is massive! You can fit 1000 yards of 40lb Sufix 832 braid with it.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:26 AM »

Thanks for that Long_Cast. I'm sure the Daiwa M-One is decent and I see it on a lot of "ready to go" set ups (rod+reel, etc) in the tackle shops. However I know my Dad just likes fishing equipment that is a little "higher end" whether he needs it or not (probably not). The Rapala North Coast mooching reel looks.

I've seen the Trophy mooching reels used a lot on TV. Any one have an opinion? Here's a link I found to one:

http://gonefishinshop.com/tag/trophy-mooching-reel/

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »

The Islander reels seem to be what I've seen lot's of the guides going with, and is high end.

westcoastercoho

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »

Check out the Shimano Moocher 2000GT.  I have been running two of those for probably 10 years or more.  Totally indestructible and smooth.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »

The Islander reels seem to be what I've seen lot's of the guides going with, and is high end.

Oh I have no doubt the islanders are top notch but way more than I want to spend. I'm looking more in the $250-$300 range. The Rapala North Coast looks pretty good and overall has decent reviews. I'm still poking around but this reel looks decent for the price.

Thanks Westcoastercoho I'll check outt that reel as well.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »

Trophy XL Tyee QR

It's all I use now. No line creep like my MR3

http://www.berrysbait.com/products/1/1/0/1/reels-208/trophy-25/trophy-xl-tyee-qr4-5-19400.aspx

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 09:12:48 AM »

Pretty sweet looking reels! I'll likely get one for my dad. I don't think he'd like the blue. So it's gold or pewter. What the hell color is pewter anyway?! :o

Oh and what is the diff between the XL Thyee QR 4.5 ($249) vs the XL Thyee ($199)??? Is the QR4.5 worth the extra $50?

UPDATE: I googled "pewter" and it looks like a brushed nickle. I think I'd get that one.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 09:36:13 AM by Spawn Sack »

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »

Get the QR, it has a larger arbor for faster line pickup. Well worth the $50.
I love the dark pewter. Matches the newer black and grey fenwick HMX moochers real nice.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 02:07:31 PM by canso »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 02:34:43 PM »

Cool thanks I'll check out the QR's at Berry's and if I like it, which I'm sure I will, I'll buy it for my Dad.

NOW, I'm also wondering about mooching rods. It seems most are in the 10"6 range. Unfortunatley the boat that my Dad ocean fishes out of has a covered top that extends all the way to the back of the boat. This makes fishing long rods impractical as hook sets will often smack into the aluminum roof (cringe!). Also the fishing space is a tad short so with a longer rod it would be odd trying to clip onto the downrigger, etc.

Anway they always fish rods on the short side (8feet or so) even when trolling for salmon. Can you get a mooching rod this short? Or another trolling rod that would pair up well with this reel for trolling for big salmon. I would say the max the rod can be is 9 feet, a bit shorter is better.

Also something with an extra durable exterior would be nice as, inevitably, the odd hookset does bang into the overhanging roof and it would suck to bust a new rod.

Suther

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »

I don't think there is much you can do about smacking the roof - some rods are better than others I Would think, but it might be a good idea to think about doing something with the boat... put a pool noodle across the back edge of the roof maybe? Or something else to add some padding? I was thinking those blue camping mats perhaps?

Have many rods have been broken on the roof over the years?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 09:05:17 PM »

If it were my boat I'd add some sort of padding to prevent rod damage from over enthusiastic hook sets, but it's my uncle's boat and it's been that way for years so I doubt he has any plans to do anything. As far as I know they have never broken a rod despite all of them making solid contact with the aluminum roof on countless occasions. All of my Uncle's rod are these butt ugly older Ulgy Sticks.

Due to the dimensions of the back of the boat using longer mooching rods in the typical 10"6 range is just not practical. Most of the boat is sleeping quarters/wheel house with a small (but covered - nice in the rain!) back. All of my Uncle's rods are 8 feetish. I don't really like them as I find they are over powered for most salmon, but like I said short rods are needed for the square footage.

I'd say a 9 foot rod would be the max that would work. Is any one aware of a good rod that would work with the Trophy XL QR for trolling for big salmon? I'm assuming the rod can not have a trigger on the opposite side of the eyelets like a baitcasting rod, but instead more like a center pin rod with small eyelets but no trigger so you can hold it properly with the reel on the bottom and the eyelets facing down.

Thinking of getting the reel for xmas and a suitable rod for his bday in Feb. The rod needs to be suitale for smaller salmon like coho but be able to handle the odd monster spring up to 40lbs or so.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 10:06:26 AM »

There are tons of rods suitable for what you need.
Just check out what Berrys has when your there.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 10:37:09 AM »

Cool thanks a lot. I've heard that Berry's has the QR on sale each year around Father's Day for $199 down from $249. Can anyone confirm this? If it never goes lower than $249 then I'll just buy one at that price.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 10:59:50 AM »

Sorry one more question about mooching reels: Do you have to back the drag off when you want to let out line (say when lowering a down rigger ball) or do they have some sort of release button/switch like on a trolling baitcaster?

My Dad has commented that he does not like baitcasters meant for casting (say a 7000 Abu or whatever) as when you release the spool it goes into full freespool and you have to thumb the spool or it will backlast. Where as with a levelwind meant for trolling like the big Penn reels they typically use, you just flip the switch and you can losen the downrigger without having to thumb the spool. I guess my point is he finds it a bit of a pain to thumb the spool and lower/manage the downrigger at the same time.

I've never used a reel dedicated for mooching but I'm hoping they have some sort of release button instead of having to back the drag off and readjust each time the line is brought in let back out with the downrigger ball.