Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild....yup.....another wild coho.  (Read 12363 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: Wild....yup.....another wild coho.
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 09:21:58 PM »

Oh no. Keep the wild off limit. Let them spawn to protect the wild stock. There are enough hatch to satisfy the dinner plate.

TNAngler

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 08:54:01 AM »

Only here would a fisherman complain of going out and catching lots of fish but only get to keep a couple of them.  Be happy you are able to fish.  Be happy you are able to catch fish when you go.  Be super happy if you get to keep some at all.

brandooner

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »

caught a pretty equal amount this year, probably a few more wilds then hatchery, some of the nicest ones were wild though. Feels good to let sucha beautiful fish continue on to spawn!
The Fishin' Musician!

obie1fish

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 06:17:25 PM »

Only one thing better than watching a fish swim away....watching a newbie release a fish for the first time. Coooooooooooool.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »

nothing like a cold shower        Splash!

Ahh...Why Not

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 10:25:56 PM »

77th Coho this year today. 50/50 Wild vs. Hatch this year it seems (Legit). Aiming for all miss clip one day ;) (Totally fisherman bull-manure)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 11:57:20 PM »

49 coho landed this year yesterday, 26 hatchery with 2 other misclips and not counting jacks (think 6 or 7 with only 1 wild) from 5 different systems. First year I have actually kept track but it looks to be around the same percentage every year with wild vs hatchery for me. Dad is about the same hatchery vs wild but he probably did not keep track.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 12:29:45 PM »

77th Coho this year today.
49 coho landed this year yesterday, 26 hatchery with 2 other misclips and not counting jacks (think 6 or 7 with only 1 wild) from 5 different systems.

Why do you count them? Is it a numbers' game or am I missing something?

I have no idea how many coho I landed this year (or any year for that matter), but I know this one was one great season.
Good enough for me.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 06:11:37 PM »

I have no idea how many coho I landed this year (or any year for that matter), but I know this one was one great season.
Good enough for me.

Because it is interesting to note.  I caught a dozen coho yesterday and another 10 the day before and only one was a hatchery (a misclip at that).  Others are getting ratios closer to 2:1 others are even or even getting more hatchery fish (apparently you can specially target hatchery coho).  It is still the best season in recent memory for me, but I am intrigued by the "numbers game."
Not all those who wander are lost

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »

Good enough for me.

I count them as well. It is not a numbers game, It is not to compete with people, it is not for any reason that most people assume. In fact, most people don't even know how many I caught this year, and that doesn't matter to me. It was definitely a fantastic season though - my best yet by far.

I do it for 2 reasons.

1) I keep an excel sheet for both coho and steelhead each year. I keep it for these 2 fish as they are the ones I target and enjoy the most and I like seeing the trends I get. It helps me determine if I am getting more efficient at targeting them, and how the runs are doing compared to what others are telling me. In the diary I keep along side the spreadsheet, I write down stuff that old timers on the rivers tell me, such as what other rivers to hit, when the one I was on peaks, techniques. At this point the diaries I kept the last 3 years are a great read and refresher on new things I need to try out, it helps me expand on things I would normally forget.

2) RUN TIMING. You wouldn't believe how much these simple spreadsheets and diaries help me plan my trips out on the island now. At times, I have it dialled down right to the day, especially for steelhead. Some people may think it's silly, but why wouldn't I spend 5-10 mins after each trip writing down conditions, and the date, and how the fishing was, when at times I am driving up to 3 hours to spots and spending $100's in gas while in university. I want to make my time on the water count, IMO no better way of doing that than keeping a diary and seeing trends after multiple years (and retaining info from people in the know).

One other interesting thing... It's kind of cool to see how the CPUE varies between winter steehead, summer steelhead and coho. This year it actually worked out that I had the exact same number of trips and hours somehow of summer steel vs coho. I definitely catch more coho/hour than steelhead lol, something like a little over double.

Ahh...Why Not

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »

Good enough for me.

Personal reasons. Personally, I count, take a quick photo then send them to my friends while they are at work. I'm still struggling to part angling with ego.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »

I always start out counting.When it is a mediocre year by end of season I know exactly.On a great year like this one I lost count early.This was mainly due to the abundance of different species.Not just the ones I was targeting.I admire people who keep a journal as it really enhances the experience.
Riverman