Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, October 25th 2013  (Read 5579 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River, October 25th 2013
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 11:42:01 PM »

Anther golden goose of extra 'tax revenue' from the hard earned money of the fishermen. Can't  DFO require which ever municipality taking out existing parking spaces of popular fishing spots to build alternative ones to replace what they take out? If the municipality or the residents don't want fishermen to park where they are now, they can designate other spots (not too far from fishing) which are not so intrusive to residents. What about clearing up some bushes towards the river side to replace the parking spots lost.

No they cannot, they have no power to do that as it would far exceed their mandate.

DFO simply can't let fishermen fall into these kind of traps which only benefit these authorities but not fishermen nor DFO.

Yes, they can, they have no choice, they have no authority to require municipalities to provide fisherman with parking.  It is up to fishermen to lobby local governments and for local politicians to decide what's best for the people they serve.

DFO stock the Stave with fish. So it is a destined fishing location as intended by DFO and fishermen flock over there. But with reduced parking, fishermen now stand the risk of damaging their vehicles (by falling into the ditch) or risking a large fine when they can't park anywhere else considered legal. They can't just drive back home after spending all that gas to go there to fish.

Fishermen were given plenty of warning about the parking closures, so it is the fault of fishermen if they chose to drive all that way for nothing.  There are plenty of other spots within 15 min of the Stave to try if parking is that bad.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:03:55 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »

liketofish, in early September, you were arguing that goverment needs to build more boat launches. Now you want government to build more parking spots.  ::)

At the very least, as Sandman indicated, you have an incomplete understanding of the mandates of federal, provincial and municipal governments.

At the other end of the spectrum, I humbly suggest that you have attitude of entitlement.

Maybe both...

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »

Frankly I don't even fish the Stave. Who wants those ugly chum. It is none of my business personally. I just heard that they take out more formerly available parking spots on the west side. I am not asking government to build new parking spots, just to replace existing ones being taken out by residents and their local municipality which then vigorously come out to fine the fishermen for illegal parking. Safety issue? Give me a break. You don't know anything you talk about. The east side where the construction is, I can agree. But the west side is another story. Now by taking out formerly available safe parking, they force fishermen to park in unsafe narrow spots which end up with cars in the ditch. If you guys are anti your own fishermen for the government's pockets and want to be their poster boys, so be it. But not here, man. Entitlement? Don't think so. What I wrote about boat launch was actually similar to what Ian Forbes wrote earlier, so I am not alone and I don't even own a boat but share the same observation that we lack these facilities when compared to the south. Nothing wrong with expressing what I feel in a democratic country.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:26:48 AM by liketofish »

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 12:19:37 PM »

Let me guess , your a pencil pusher correct? Try looking outside the box for a moment.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »

There is lots of parking on the Stave IF your not lazy and don't mind walking a bit. There is no need to park illegally, that is just being lazy and it is a safety issue. Think of others as well as your own needs and you could see that Parking on a corner or blocking pedestrian access is a huge hazard  and that is where everyone wants to park as it is close access. Without the no parking signs people would be parking blocking part of the roadway like they were before which caused at least one accident last year on the west side even with no parking signs. Can't blame the residents for complaining, take a walk and see the garbage, poaching and snagging. They put up handicapped parking so that those that cannot walk far have available parking. If you don't want to walk get up at 3am so you can get your parking spot otherwise use your legs and walk, it helps build character 8). Heads up to those heading out, there was fresh bear scat and tracks on the east side today , 5 ho's today but all wild

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »

There is lots of parking on the Stave IF your not lazy and don't mind walking a bit. There is no need to park illegally, that is just being lazy and it is a safety issue. Think of others as well as your own needs and you could see that Parking on a corner or blocking pedestrian access is a huge hazard  and that is where everyone wants to park as it is close access. Without the no parking signs people would be parking blocking part of the roadway like they were before which caused at least one accident last year on the west side even with no parking signs. Can't blame the residents for complaining, take a walk and see the garbage, poaching and snagging. They put up handicapped parking so that those that cannot walk far have available parking. If you don't want to walk get up at 3am so you can get your parking spot otherwise use your legs and walk, it helps build character 8). Heads up to those heading out, there was fresh bear scat and tracks on the east side today , 5 ho's today but all wild

Where did they put up handicap parking?
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »

I don't know, but there are too many good rivers to fish to worry about the parking situation at the Stave.  Just had a banner morning, two chum, one a fresh bright doe, and three wild coho landed including this one.
Not all those who wander are lost

Tenz85

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 06:46:31 AM »

Was at stave yesterday morning. Caught 2 nasty chums on the fly with a natural muddler. Overcrowded Sunday but saw a few cohos caught in the bowl on the fly and a couple in the main flow on the drift. Think I'm going to avoid the stave unless I'm desperate for a couple weeks. Caught more could in Fraser and am seeing fresher chums jumping in the tidal 60ft out.
Tight lines.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 08:01:28 AM »

I was fishing the Stave in the pouring rain Saturday. Very few people out as expected.  Eventually everybody left and I was fishing a pretty popular spot alone on the West Side.   I couldn't see anybody else at all.  Very weird.  Usually kids are out throwing rocks into the river, people starting camp fires, and lots people yelling and screaming.  Coho's were tight lipped as usual, but I did manage to hook 1 and but lost it.  Chums were very willing biters and in decent shape still, but I think it's starting to slow down.  While fishing for coho's using a trout rod, a few chums bit and man, the fight is pretty tough with my rod almost bending into a complete circle.