Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting but sad read.  (Read 3926 times)

arimaBOATER

Interesting but sad read.
« on: October 24, 2013, 01:09:12 AM »

Newcastle Herald

The Ocean is Broken
By Greg Ray.

(A sailor's observation of sailing across the ocean ten yrs ago & a recent trip. - arimaBOATER)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:11:08 AM by A-BOATER »

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Interesting but sad read.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:26:18 AM »

Yes, I thought so to A-BOATER. Not to many comments on it though. Everyones fixed on getting rid of those damn flosser's instead of really caring and talking about what's really happening. Hmmm, I wonder what we could accomplish if we could get by the stereotyping and the bs.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »

What is the answer to rid the % of the debris floating & submerged just under the ocean's surface.
Could not countries including Japan have an on going fleet dragging enforced nets & pulling the junk on board & load it onto transport ships barges & put the stuff in some dump site. (Japan)
In the least get the biggest stuff out.
Tons & tons of ground water & other week rain water overflow is flowing into the ocean thru the Japan damaged nuclear plant.
Next 25 yrs or so time est. to get the site stabilized.
Think it's only like the same distance from Hope to Vancouver. Tokyo - nuke plant.

The article is shocking on so many fronts.
The dooms day clock is ticking.
Either some big nuclear war or Mother Nature kick back.

Fossing compared to this is ant hill / Rocky Mts.
Outta sight outta mind.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »

I agree that flossing is an important issue among sporties and I wish it had never seen the light of day but compared to this, it is an ant hill against the Rocky Mountains. I believe that people would rather bitch and complain and act like fish wives rather than confront the Real issues that are decimating our stocks. Like you said A-Boater, outta sight, outta mind. Invisible problems will just disappear.

Dogbreath

A Load of Ignorant Crybaby Bull
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 12:19:59 PM »

I already posted on this http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=34230.msg326020#msg326020 it's ignorance of the grossest kind.

Pelagic currents have their own rhythms and temperature gradients-as little as on degree C can mean little food produced and fish populations adjust/move on-I've seen this more times than I can count.

I wish more people had what it takes to head offshore from WCVI-the ocean is often alive with bait, fish, dolphins/whales, birds of all kinds-and sometime it isn't-the lights seem to be on but no one is home and that's life.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 05:32:01 PM »

I already posted on this http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=34230.msg326020#msg326020 it's ignorance of the grossest kind.

Pelagic currents have their own rhythms and temperature gradients-as little as on degree C can mean little food produced and fish populations adjust/move on-I've seen this more times than I can count.

I wish more people had what it takes to head offshore from WCVI-the ocean is often alive with bait, fish, dolphins/whales, birds of all kinds-and sometime it isn't-the lights seem to be on but no one is home and that's life.

While the observation about lack of visible life may be explained away, he was talking about a journey from Australia to Japan and then across to San Fransico, so one would think that he would have ventured into one of you areas teaming with life.  More important than his observations of a lack if visible life, was his observations of the amount if trash afloat in the ocean.  This is a very real concern, not sobbing gibbering ignorance.
Not all those who wander are lost

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 08:08:12 PM »

1stly sorry Athezone for not seeing your earlier post on the very same topic. :-[

Totally agree with your & Sandman's replies.
Not want to start up one's engine because of getting the prop tangled with junk in the middle of the ocean says it all. Along with the other insights of the article.

Surely it should raise eye brows & countries should check into it,in the least.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 12:11:03 AM »

Hey absolutely no problem A-Boater. I wish there was an easy fix but as with most problems concerning the worlds resources
there isn't. If mankind would leave mother nature alone it would heal itself, hell it was doing fine for thousands of years before we came along. Man's selfishness will be his demise.