Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flourocarbon and knots  (Read 8694 times)

Ian Forbes

Re: Flourocarbon and knots
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 10:41:48 PM »

Skaha brought up a good point about ALWAYS testing a knot before using it. It doesn't take too long to learn how much tension will break a line and a few sharp tugs will test your knots  FIRST. It's better to break it in your hands then on a fish.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2013, 09:00:19 AM »

Have to agree a good idea and I never do this. Never really had to using mono leaders...but with flouro seeing as it's so "knot sensitive"  from now on if I'm fishing it I'll be sure to give my knot one last check before fishing it by giving it a couple solid tugs.

Going to be going with the improved clinch and some bluelabel likely in 12lb.

Fishawn

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 01:39:09 PM »

I use Seaguar Tatsu. It's really good stuff.
Comes in a 200 yard spool. Heck of a lot cheaper than buying 25 yard leader spools. 

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »

Yeahhh...true always cheaper to buy in bulk...but for the amount of times I'll actually use the line I'm probably fine buying 25 yards at a time. Right now I'm 99% short floating and almost never snag up. Eventually when the water levels rise I'll go back to using mono leaders as it's waht I have the most confident in and it's a HECK of a lot cheaper!

I thought the Tatsu was more of a mainline? Seems most Seaguar lovers reccomend the Blue Label as #1 for leaders.

Fishawn

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 10:56:28 PM »

As far as I know, fluorocarbon is fluorocarbon.  It's like how they have leader spools of Maxima UG. The smaller spool is just for ease of transport in your vest. Either way, Tatsu is high quality stuff.  Haven't had any issues with it. Give it a try! You might like it.

zap brannigan

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 11:49:13 PM »

not all the same, 100% flouro is the way to go, co polymer stuff is garbage for leaders.

Fishawn

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 12:23:18 AM »

not all the same, 100% flouro is the way to go, co polymer stuff is garbage for leaders.
What I had meant was that the line is the same regardless of whether it comes in leader sized spools of 25 yards or 200 yard filler spools. Tatsu is 100% fluoro.