Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are 2 hooks or 1 hook allowed on tidal fraser river?  (Read 3327 times)

SuperNewbee

Are 2 hooks or 1 hook allowed on tidal fraser river?
« on: October 19, 2013, 10:07:44 AM »

Hello

I have been reading the regs at

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/salmon-saumon-eng.html

and this part really is confusing me badly

This line makes sense to me

"Single and treble barbless hooks acceptable except in the tidal portion of the Fraser where gear is restricted to a single barbless hook."

but then on the next line is seems to say that 2 hooks is ok

"A person may angle in the tidal portion of the Fraser River with two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies, attached to a fishing line. Bar rigs with single barbless hooks are acceptable. "

Am I stupid or going senile? I really can't make sense of it. For now I just use one of the spreaders on my bar rig and leave the other one unused. I have seen other people using 2 hooks on a double bar rig but I thought they were probably old timers who never knew about the single hook on tidal Fraser rule.

One guy told me it was a loophole but I don't want to fish using a loophole in the regs.

Are 2 hooks allowed on tidal Fraser when fishing for salmon?

Does someone know? Like really know the answer?

Thanks

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Are 2 hooks or 1 hook allowed on tidal fraser river?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »

In this context, I think 'single barbless hook' refers to the number of points attached to the shank rather than the number of hooks allowed on a line. If you take a treble hook and cut off the extra points and pinch the barb, it becomes 'single barbless'.

Two hooks are allowed on a bar rig.

StillAqua

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:39:24 PM »

"Single and treble barbless hooks acceptable except in the tidal portion of the Fraser where gear is restricted to a single barbless hook."

but then on the next line is seems to say that 2 hooks is ok

"A person may angle in the tidal portion of the Fraser River with two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies, attached to a fishing line. Bar rigs with single barbless hooks are acceptable. "

You're confusing the number of hooks allowed on a "lure" with the number of hooks allowed on a line. In the tidal Fraser you're allowed two "lures" on a line, each with a single barbless hook.

brownmancheng

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:02:11 PM »

You're confusing the number of hooks allowed on a "lure" with the number of hooks allowed on a line. In the tidal Fraser you're allowed two "lures" on a line, each with a single barbless hook.

Only when used with a "bar rig" set up