Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing with Colorado Blades  (Read 1512 times)

ICA

Fishing with Colorado Blades
« on: October 12, 2013, 08:08:37 AM »

Fellas, since this is a very light set up and probably doesnt cast well for distance, do you guys us split shots or pencil lead to give some weight and if so, what distance approximately behind the blade? I know that on the Vedder, the float is used and therefore sufficient weight to cast but on the Fraser, in some areas, there is practically no current, and the float might not be workable. Any food for thoughts here? Thanks in advance.

banx

Re: Fishing with Colorado Blades
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »

I see people using floats with blades, but I have always preferred to fish them without a float.  I would use 16 to 18 inches of leader and would use split shots above the swivel.  When the blade would hit the water and drop to its desired depth I would give the rod a quick pop to get the blade to begin spinning and I would begin a slow retrieve. 

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing with Colorado Blades
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »

Hi ICA, was out fishing the Vedder for the last three days, blades every day and all of us were using floats. I prefer 30 gram drennans. You can pick up Colorado blades at Fred's and make your own. I bought gammies, swivels and split rings, enough to make 40 finished blades and only spent 27 bucks. Experiment with the sizes because with the rising and falling water depths you never know which one will be the numero uno.

I prefer sizes no. 3 or 4 but be sure to put on an extra clip swivel at the bottom of your line or your line will twist all up. The guys at Freds are super helpful so don't be afraid to ask questions. Yesterday was a slow day where we were but myself and my friend both managed to take home one each. I had actually switched back to using roe for a bit and as I reeled in my coho bit once, twice, three times and then on the fourth bite, just for Thanksgiving, gobble, gobble and she was hooked. A beauty 12 lb. chromer caught only five feet away from where I stood.

Most fishermen were using 12 to 10 lb. leader with a very small 1 inch piece of lead. There are the usual snags so put your float by your side in the water and look to see where the depth of your blade is and to see if its spinning correctly. Good Luck, hope this helps.

Good Fishing All !!!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:02:27 AM by Athezone »