Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: capilano river  (Read 11530 times)

soliak

Re: capilano river
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 08:04:41 AM »

yeah i use 15lb fluorocarbon for the cap this time of year. maybe set your drag a little tighter it shouldn't get that far so quick. also worth noting these chinooks can get very big as they are harrison white springs. you never know if you are going to get a 10lb chinook or 30lb which is why i dont fish light leader you just never know.

After losing two springs and a big steelhead on 10lb mainline and 12lb leader I upgraded to 20lb. I find on the cap this is especially important because of the lack of space. Since then I landed a solid 10lb++ model. Having a top end reel with 20lb of drag really helps in the cap, combined with a quality rod u can put them where you want them!

soliak

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 08:10:04 AM »

Sorry forgot to add flurocarbon leader HAS to be used in the cap. They spook easy.

Drewhill

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 09:09:01 AM »

After losing two springs and a big steelhead on 10lb mainline and 12lb leader I upgraded to 20lb. I find on the cap this is especially important because of the lack of space. Since then I landed a solid 10lb++ model. Having a top end reel with 20lb of drag really helps in the cap, combined with a quality rod u can put them where you want them!

Why is your leader heavier than your mainline? Should be the other way around. Are you using 10lb mainline with 20lb leader now?

newb33

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »

so much roe all over the rocks and ive seen people fishing with bait, called dfo in the last week and nothing so frustrating

zap brannigan

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »

The bait ban is frustrating, hatchery supplemented system, it's like putting a bait ban on a stocked lake, been using blades and gooey bobs and been getting a few fish but rather be using roe.

Kever

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »

Rules are rules so play nice people. I've been doing fine win imitation bait. They are cap fish though so they only strike around dawn or dusk otherwise they're shut tighter than clams.

soliak

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »

Why is your leader heavier than your mainline? Should be the other way around. Are you using 10lb mainline with 20lb leader now?

Is this a legitimate question or a troll? The leader is where most of the force is when fighting fish, especially if you lose tightness and get sudden jolts. It's also the piece of line most likely to get caught on a rock and get snapped off. Heavy leader = less dropped fish.

When fishing for Giant Trevally, I use 60lb mainline and 100lb leader. When fishing for big Snapper, 20lb mainline and 40lb leader. This is pretty much the standard across most fisheries around the world. Obviously there are exceptions, like when you are trying to entice a bite on a picky fishery, so you size down your leader...but as far as fighting fish goes, having a heavier leader allows you to be much more aggressive. It should also be taken into consideration that when I talk about mainline it is strictly braid, which outperforms its test rating by quite a bit.  Apart from the obvious fact that lighter leader = potentially more bites, I can't see any performance benefit from doing this.

Funnily enough this is something I have been asked 2-3 times since moving here. Not sure I quite understand the reasoning behind the thought process, maybe you can enlighten me?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:12:52 PM by soliak »

1stlite

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 02:26:18 PM »

The bait ban is frustrating, hatchery supplemented system, it's like putting a bait ban on a stocked lake, been using blades and gooey bobs and been getting a few fish but rather be using roe.
I like it when there is a bait ban on the Cap. It's already getting too crowded even with the bait ban. Lots of the anglers I've seen that only use roe will disappear to rivers like the Chilliwack/Vedder, etc.

salmonlover

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 02:35:19 PM »

Is this a legitimate question or a troll? The leader is where most of the force is when fighting fish, especially if you lose tightness and get sudden jolts. It's also the piece of line most likely to get caught on a rock and get snapped off. Heavy leader = less dropped fish.

When fishing for Giant Trevally, I use 60lb mainline and 100lb leader. When fishing for big Snapper, 20lb mainline and 40lb leader. This is pretty much the standard across most fisheries around the world. Obviously there are exceptions, like when you are trying to entice a bite on a picky fishery, so you size down your leader...but as far as fighting fish goes, having a heavier leader allows you to be much more aggressive. It should also be taken into consideration that when I talk about mainline it is strictly braid, which outperforms its test rating by quite a bit.  Apart from the obvious fact that lighter leader = potentially more bites, I can't see any performance benefit from doing this.

Funnily enough this is something I have been asked 2-3 times since moving here. Not sure I quite understand the reasoning behind the thought process, maybe you can enlighten me?

It's legit. For the most part people fish heavy mainline so they don't lose their tackle. For fly fishing you don't wanna fish heavier leader because you run the the risk of losing your expensive line.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »

Chinook are not notorious for making huge runs when hooked. They are known for sulking on the bottom and being a problem to move or bring up. The only time I have ever seen chinook make huge fast runs is when they get snagged or are flossed. Seeing as how you guys have mentioned losing multiple fish due to them making big runs I would have to guess they were snagged or flossed. 10 lb or 12 lb leader is more than enough to land chinook in the cap or vedder. If you think about it the fish may weigh 30 lbs out of the water, however when it is in the water it floats and does not weigh 30 lbs.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »

Most people here use a heavier mainline than leader.  Imagine if you are using one of those $8 floats and your leader is heavier than your main line. The line that will break first is most likely your mainline and it's quite easy to lose your expensive float and a lot of main line.

Kever

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 05:34:38 PM »

Chinook are not notorious for making huge runs when hooked. They are known for sulking on the bottom and being a problem to move or bring up. The only time I have ever seen chinook make huge fast runs is when they get snagged or are flossed. Seeing as how you guys have mentioned losing multiple fish due to them making big runs I would have to guess they were snagged or flossed. 10 lb or 12 lb leader is more than enough to land chinook in the cap or vedder. If you think about it the fish may weigh 30 lbs out of the water, however when it is in the water it floats and does not weigh 30 lbs.

When my float goes down and stays down I set the hook. Hard to tell whether it bit or was flossed I guess but I was using a short leader reasonable depth and just floating along.

zap brannigan

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 06:32:23 PM »

Don't like losing floats and don't like re-rigging so I keep my leaders 5 pounds lighter that my main.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 06:52:30 PM »

When my float goes down and stays down I set the hook. Hard to tell whether it bit or was flossed I guess but I was using a short leader reasonable depth and just floating along.

Not trying to single you out. But for example at the run under the hwy the fish would stack up, especially during low water. So as your drift goes through the mass of the fish more than likely the hook gently hooks a fin. The float goes down, you set the hook and then all of a sudden the fish panics.

Does the float go down gently or is it a hard take? I would try fishing a bit shallower so the fish has to commit more to the bite. You will end up with a better hook set and better hook placement.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Fillibert

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2013, 09:13:50 PM »

If the breaking 12lb line was the same one used to fish for pinks aka salt water it's more than likely degraded so make sure your line is fresh