Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warrantying a Sage custom  (Read 4968 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Warrantying a Sage custom
« on: October 06, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »

sooo I busted my Sage custom level wind rod on Friday. I looked at it and found it had a bruise in the graphite, probably due to getting hit by the lead at some point.

How do I go about getting the warranty done on it ?

I know they only warranty the blank but can I pay extra to have them build it as well before sending it back ?

anyone know a good rod builder in the Langley/Surrey area and what he/she charges ?

I would build it myself but having never done it I rather not start on such a nice blank  8)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Warrantying a Sage custom
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:26:07 PM »

They will not rebuild the new section for you, even if you pay extra. They will send a replacement blank section for the broken one and you will have to find someone locally to strip your guides off and re tie. Most shops can handle the warranty for you but you might as well just contact sage and do it yourself, I find that a little quicker. They will probably ask you to cut a section of the blank off and just send that in rather than the whole piece.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »

You can take the rod to a tackle shop and have them send in the section for you.  Last winter, I took my Sage 2106 tip to Berry's Bait and Tackle and had a new tip back in about 6 weeks.  Took a long time, but it was a factory rod so Sage had to build a new tip for me.  You may get the blank back much faster.  You will need to get it rebuilt - Berry's can do it for you.  Sorry buddy, but I don't know of a place in Surrey to get it done for you.  Also, sorry to hear you broke the rod.  Good thing you have a nice selection of other rods you can use!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:34:23 PM »

Hook - just out of curiosity, what kind of Sage rod was it?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »

Trophy Tackle

• Trophy Tackle
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »

http://valleycustomrods.com/

Mark Light at valley customs is the man to see for the build.  Not in Langley/Surrey but he is conveniently located in Chilliwack.  His craftsmanship and operation as a whole is top notch....cutting edge almost when it comes to rod building.  His work and attention to detail is meticulous.  He has a very nice, clean and modern shop stocked with all components. 

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:57:30 PM »

Take it to Fred's in Abbotsford they will send it into Sage who will send you a new tip. You can get Mark to build it for you.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »

FFM - It is a GSH 2106B

To those that suggested builders - do any of you know the ball park they charge for a build ?

also is it possibly to have Sage just send me an entire blank and not just the top half in order to make sure the ferrules fit properly ?

This is why I don't buy custom built rods, this one was a trade for a custom 3113MB pin rod I had.

Thanks everyone
Check out our new blog

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 10:58:10 PM »

The ferrels will fit no problem. Call some shops and ask what they would charge. Also don't forget to ask if they have a wait at all.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 04:30:11 PM »

I wouldn't do anything before speaking to Dave (handle name is also Dave) from this forum. He is an experienced builder, a Chilliwack local (so you can drop your rod with him when you go fish the Vedder) and a guy who will charge you a fair price for a job well done.

Probably your best way to go after getting the new blank from Sage.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 05:50:18 PM »

......They will fit the ferrules at the factory/wharehouse...your builder will either strip the rod and send the whole top section or just the bottom 6-8 inches......retie is around $125-$150...you may have an issue matching thread colour and want the bottom retied also....personally have not used Russ at Stryker but have talked to him on the phone....had my Rainshadow retied by Mark at Valley Custom and he does nice work..
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »

I have sent an email to Sage as of today
Check out our new blog

Kenwee

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 07:35:12 PM »

Dave in Chilliwack is highly recommended, he is currently building a custom rod for me. If you need his con act, message me.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »

Dave in Chilliwack is highly recommended, he is currently building a custom rod for me. If you need his con act, message me.

I cant PM on this site but my email should be visible

Thank you
Check out our new blog

Kenwee

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 12:26:52 PM »

what is your email? it is not visible.