Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms G3 Waders  (Read 23111 times)

Kenwee

Re: Simms G3 Waders
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »

I have had a G3 for 4 years now,last 2 years I used it twice a day and they have never leaked.I also have the guide boots and they are great.Last year aI bought a G4 but it is seldom used but it is very comfortable. I fish everyday if weather permits and my waders are treated roughly. I go thru black berry bushes and other rough terrain and they are hardy.I highly recommend Simms.YOu get what you pay for.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 07:34:31 PM »

Yup Im hearing of lots guys saying good things about the G3s, So does that mean there just as good any any other cheap wader? Iv owned 5 brands of waders, and the same spots gave out all of them. Inside knee, and heel bootie. But Ill give you an update on the G3's after Im done destroying them.
The Bigger The Better!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 08:14:34 PM »

g3's are on sale here:

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/waders-simms.html

if you don't mind going to eugene oregon.  I would phone first to make sure they have one in your size.
f

Thanks for the lead, Stratocaster. They had my size so I ordered a pair. Very happy with $315, and no tax :)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »

Yup Im hearing of lots guys saying good things about the G3s, So does that mean there just as good any any other cheap wader? Iv owned 5 brands of waders, and the same spots gave out all of them. Inside knee, and heel bootie. But Ill give you an update on the G3's after Im done destroying them.
G3 will not fail at inside knee because there is no seam there. You would have to physically wear through the Goretex.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »

as far as I'm concerned Simms waders are grossly overpriced and like all waders eventually leak.
For the price of their top model I can buy 6 pairs of cheap waders that I know will outlast their best wader.
They may replace or repair through their warranty but I've heard of guys waiting months to get them back.
I just grab another cheap pair and keep on fishing.
I think guys buy them to look like "the man" while out fishing. "Look at me I paid $500.00 for these waders"
They go with my Sage rod and Islander reel! Now I just have to figure out how to catch fish.

Haha you would hate me mate... And you're right I have no idea how to catch fish.

I do own all three mentioned and actually fished them all today at a lake in the Interior. Don't mind spending money on good equipment and you sound like a bitter little school girl.
always a student

spoiler

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2013, 08:14:16 AM »

Not at all Dereke I'm sure your a great fisherman.
I have fished the Chilliwack/Vedder since 1966 and probably have more money tied up in fishing gear than most people. I own about 30 rods and fifty reels, and about $10k in fly tying equipment from when I tied commercially for most of the shops in the valley and also built custom rods for some of the shops. I own a good number of Sage rods, Hardy, Milner, Grice & young, Islander reels etc, etc, etc.
I bought one of the very first pair of Fitzwright neoprene waders produced in Langley and wore them for years. When they finally gave out I returned them to Bare and they gave me a brand new pair of Bare Superas for free. I have no issue with people spending money on good equipment as I'm a certified "tackle whore".
I may be a school girl but never bitter!
When I first started fishing I had very little money to spend on gear so I find it interesting that guys starting out now are dropping $500.00 for a centerpin reel and $450.00 for waders.
I guess I'm sounding like my old man. 

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2013, 08:35:41 AM »

Yes fair enough, I'm definitely not a great fisherman  by any stretch but I was just saying that if it's going to be used I have no problem buying expensive gear. In my experience either through warranty or quality it has been worth it. It's not always about having a high school mentality to look cool. I guess maybe you see it on the crowded flows a bit more a mentality that it's not about getting fish but a popularity contest? Haha
always a student

spoiler

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »

Dereke,
 after spending 47 years tramping around the river I think I've seen it all but one thing I can tell you that even as I get closer to being 60 I still get excited before I go fishing!

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2013, 11:44:05 AM »

Iv owned serval pairs of g3s a pair of g4s and one thing I know for certain if u don't wear your waders out in a season or two you definitely don't fish as much or hard as you think you do . I have had just as good results with the g3s as the g4s and find them slightly less restrictive. I have never had Simms send me a new pair of waders even after only 6months of wearing a certain pair before leaking. The most I ever got out of one pair of Simms was about a year and a half. At that point I wore right through the the wader inside the leg and had seams fall apart.. One of the repairs Simms did leaked within a few trips… iv had better results sealing my own waders. Recently I have gone to the redington sonic pro wader … found a pair for slightly over 200 with a warranty. I have put about 20 trips into them so far with no issues. I find the feet in them to be slightly baggy and not as comfortable as Simms . On the plus side the wader comes with a stretchy wading belt which is awsome. Personally I won't own another super expensive wader when like hook said they just fall apart after 1 year. I fish probably about 100 all day hiking trips per year and many weekday after work jaunts to give an idea on usage.

spoiler

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »

general - Sherman,
 the waders I'm using now are Redington but the $100 model.
I have worn them for two years and find them breathable and quite comfortable and best of all - no leaks.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »

Iv owned serval pairs of g3s a pair of g4s and one thing I know for certain if u don't wear your waders out in a season or two you definitely don't fish as much or hard as you think you do . I have had just as good results with the g3s as the g4s and find them slightly less restrictive. I have never had Simms send me a new pair of waders even after only 6months of wearing a certain pair before leaking. The most I ever got out of one pair of Simms was about a year and a half. At that point I wore right through the the wader inside the leg and had seams fall apart.. One of the repairs Simms did leaked within a few trips… iv had better results sealing my own waders. Recently I have gone to the redington sonic pro wader … found a pair for slightly over 200 with a warranty. I have put about 20 trips into them so far with no issues. I find the feet in them to be slightly baggy and not as comfortable as Simms . On the plus side the wader comes with a stretchy wading belt which is awsome. Personally I won't own another super expensive wader when like hook said they just fall apart after 1 year. I fish probably about 100 all day hiking trips per year and many weekday after work jaunts to give an idea on usage.

And for your opinion there is just as many who don't agree. I guess we will have to agree to disagree and one thing is for certain I am jealous of your schedule! I work 6 days on and 6 days off and don't get out near that much!
always a student

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 03:59:11 PM »

At that point I wore right through the the wader inside the leg and had seams fall apart..

Sounds like the waders didn't fit you correctly and they were rubbing as you walked thus causing the hole. As for the seams falling apart that is due to not allowing the waders to dry enough before being stored. I have a pair of G4's that are 6 years old and have never had an issue with them except for the neoprene booties finally starting to leak due to so much hiking and wear on them. I hang them to dry on a hanger so air can circulate in them and they can dry fully. They have just over 1000 days of use in them and 85-90% is bush wacking and canyon hiking, not the typical gravel bar strolls like most waders see.

I fish probably about 100 all day hiking trips per year and many weekday after work jaunts to give an idea on usage.

Impressive so you're basically using your waders every second or third day? What line of work do you work in?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 04:03:51 PM by Johnny Canuck »
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 07:07:39 PM »

f

Thanks for the lead, Stratocaster. They had my size so I ordered a pair. Very happy with $315, and no tax :)

You're welcome.  Hope you enjoy them.  On your way down to Portland, don't forget to stop by Woodland Washington and visit the Lamiglas factory.  If they are open, they may have some Blem  or factory second rods for sale at excellent prices.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »

I work for a family buisness and live on the river. Not that it's any of your buisness Johnny Canuck. I'm pretty sure the waders were sized right. But when your walking 2 to 5 miles a trip in steelhead season your gonna get wader rub no matter what brand your wearing. You do have a point about the seams not drying and I agree it definitely takes its toll.they do get hung to dry after every use though. But at that high of a price you should be able to wear them everyday.. Lol 6 years and a thousand trips what kind of work do you do Johnny Canuck ??
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:51:27 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »

I work for a family buisness and live on the river. Not that it's any of your buisness Johnny Canuck. I'm pretty sure the waders were sized right. But when your walking 2 to 5 miles a trip in steelhead season your gonna get wader rub no matter what brand your wearing. You do have a point about the seams not drying and I agree it definitely takes its toll.they do get hung to dry after every use though. But at that high of a price you should be able to wear them everyday.. Lol 6 years and a thousand trips what kind of work do you do Johnny Canuck ??

A family business ah yes. I wasn't trying to be nosey but trying to figure out how you get so much time off as not many are so lucky lol. I was wondering like construction, office manager or something like that, not a specific business name or anything. As for me I get to choose when I work and after many many years of hard work I choose to be on the river more and more lol. Many of the "Simms poster boys" up north do in fact live in their waders pretty much, how long they last them I do not know.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.