Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I get it...  (Read 2315 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
I get it...
« on: October 23, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »

After years of chasing coho with gear and bait, I went flyfishing for them for the first time late last year. I foul hooked a couple, and it was something that I wanted to try again this year.

On Oct 5th, I was out with my ghillie and I  landed my first coho; a wild about 4-5 pounds. This past, Saturday I was out solo and I landed my first hatchery fish. 

As well, I landed 2 other wilds and lost 4 others. A great 3 hours, especially for a flyfishing hack like myself!

After years of carrying a big drift rod, and wearing a heavy vest brimming with lead, floats, swivels, wool, hooks, leader material, blades, jigs, roe.... it was quite pleasant to stalk a piece of water carrying a minimum of gear and fishing a wisp of a rod. And then there's the take and fight. I get it...   :)         
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:56:02 PM by clarki »

koifish

Re: I get it...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »

nice fish bro im hoping to catch one to soon
did you get this one at vedder? how big was your leader and which fly lol thank s

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:19:53 PM »

nice fish bro im hoping to catch one to soon
did you get this one at vedder? how big was your leader and which fly lol thank s

oh lord  ::) ::)

fish on grass - probably not the Vedder but if it is then its the canal.

if you don't know what pound leader to use for coho yet your not paying attention in threads on here. most of the time 10lb is perfect but sometimes you'll need 8lb

Fly - look closer and you'll see a California Neal by the grip of his rod. Did you not start a thread to find out some good staple productive flies ?

you may want to stop asking for specific info because your mostly likely not going to get it in regards to location especially. when it comes to fly, leader and sink tip you'll need to figure those out when your out there.

I only say this because your quick to ask on every thread or start tons of threads in a day asking for info. Use the search function and a lot of the info you seek is already here  ;)

I realize your very new to fishing but grinding every person about specifics might just stick you in the bad books around here which results usually in no one sharing info with you. If your not able to get out much with your dad perhaps you could reach out to some of the other young fisherboys on here and see if they'll let you tag along

I would offer to take you with me once in awhile however I think we live too far from each other and your parents may think it weird for you to journey out with someone in their 30's which is understandable.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:22:33 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Howlongsyourleader

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »

Nice work and nice fish! Had my first few coho on the fly recently. I don't think it gets much more rewarding than that, especially when the ugly my friend kitchen sink fly you tied up at 10pm the night prior is working just right!
Have you seen my float?