Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Tidal Fraser River Fall Salmon and Trout Fishery Updates  (Read 27133 times)

HKSR

Re: 2013 Tidal Fraser River Fall Salmon and Trout Fishery Updates
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »

Lol, it's all semantics here.  The problem is that the word "until" usually isn't inclusive of the time or date.  Example, "I won't be back to work until Friday" generally means you'll be back on Friday.  DFO should have stated "No retention of coho up to and including October 4, 2013."

This is the fisheries department, not the English department haha.  I think there's another funny one from DFO about transporting live fish being illegal.  Well, last time I checked, hundreds to thousands of people transport live fish daily from aquarium stores and/or seafood markets to their home :P  They could make a killing standing outside a pet store  ;D

Fillibert

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 05:31:08 PM »

Similar to when I was learning to drive my instructor kept saying next turn go right. Well I thought he meant NEXT turn as opposed to the one coming up so I kept missing my turns and he couldn't understand why.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »

So for those that dont understand the dfo notice it basically says this.

Effective 00:01 hours Saturday, October 5, 2013.....coho retention starts and the bait ban is lifted on the lower(tidal) fraser river.

hatchery or adipose fin clipped only.

October 4th is a bad day to get a ticket or fine.

chromeo

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 07:14:55 PM »

When is non tidal opening up for retention of coho?

Tenz85

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »

Was out there on a couple hours Sunday morning bottom fishing with my roe. Had one pull he drag 5-7 ft but by the time I got the rod up it was gone. Water was murky and weather was raining on and off.
Going to keep trying when I can't make it up to the Vedder though.

Anyone had any luck yet?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 10:29:27 PM »

The season had a slow start since the opening day but the last few days have been pretty good. Today we picked up a few beautiful fish, all wild so released of course. There was also quite a bit of surface activity.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2013/10/09/a-good-day-at-last/

Water clarity is pretty good. Visibility is sitting at around 3ft or more, perfect for spincasting and fly fishing if you don't want to fish with bait.

penguinabc123

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 09:10:51 PM »

Made it out before the dentist this morning in new west and got a 4-5 pound hatchery doe. I was the only one fishing the area and it was great! Was there from Around 8-9:20, using silver and pink crocs.
Good luck out there!

TheFishingLad

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »

Fished this morning, 2 wild coho to shore, 2 small things that jumped splashed and buggered off and 3 more wild coho that spat the hook. All using a super secret spinney thing that flashes.

Around 10am the riff raff started cruising the river, tide started coming in and water clarity when from a good 2ft to 8inches and that was it for fishing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »

From various reports and my observations during the week, water clarity has degraded in the past few days, most likely due to rain in Northern BC. This is pretty typical for this time of the year, and the river will likely to remain dirty for at least a week before it recovers. It always takes longer for a large system such as the Fraser River to recover. In the meantime, fishing with roe should still work nicely, while spin casting will be a little bit more challenging.

I've also been getting numerous reports of people who attempted to retain a wild coho salmon. Some simply are not aware of the difference between a wild and a hatchery coho salmon, while others are well aware of the regulations yet choose to break them. Please educate those who lack the information, as I did during the week to a Chinese couple who did not know how to identify a coho salmon but were well informed after being shown what a wild coho salmon look like and why only hatchery-marked coho salmon can be kept. To those who are well aware of the information yet choose to ignore it, we should all be demanding them to release their wild coho salmon as my peers did today in North Arm. We should also emphasize the importance of wild coho salmon conservation to change the mind of those who seem to think their actions have no negative implication on the resource. While we cannot change the attitude of everyone, I'm sure some will learn and do the right thing. For the rest who continue to ignore the rules, please phone DFO's ORR line at 1-800-465-4336 to report them.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 06:15:41 PM »

Yup - spent from 1:30 until 5:30.  Nothing but one hit on my spinner.  The roe guys around I saw only 2 fish to the beach and not a lot of bouncing rods either.... 
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Tenz85

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

lots of bites but only one hook up with a wild coho jack early in the AM. I think the majority of my bites are scavenging fishes..

qyrus

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 02:03:04 AM »

Does anyone know if Dyke Rd. is at all productive for bar fishing for Coho? Went out the other day and not a soul in sight and the only thing that bit were sculpins. Would the dump bar be a better alternative?

ninez

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »

Does anyone know if Dyke Rd. is at all productive for bar fishing for Coho? Went out the other day and not a soul in sight and the only thing that bit were sculpins. Would the dump bar be a better alternative?

Give dump bar a try and let us know :)

TheFishingLad

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 01:25:15 PM »

Was out this morning, tidal fraser, usual 6-9 shift. Caught 1 wild, 1 hatch, and 1 chum. Photo is of the wild.