Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Time Pin Rod Help  (Read 2611 times)

westcoastercoho

First Time Pin Rod Help
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:45:52 AM »

Hello All, first time poster long time lurker.  Live and work on Vancouver Island and spend a lot of time on my local rivers.

After fishing my level wind for a number of year, I am looking at getting into center pinning, and will be picking up an Okuma Aventa VT-1002 this weekend.  However I am having trouble deciding on the rod.  My budget is around $100 using the reel mentioned, fishing small to medium rivers throughout the season for pinks, coho, and chum/steelhead (but have my level wind to fall back on for big fish in big water).    The rod I keep coming back to is the Shimano Clarus 13 foot version based on price, reel seat type and line weight/action. 

Can anyone speak to this rod or suggest any others that fit my needs?

Cheers and thanks!

zap brannigan

Re: First Time Pin Rod Help
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »

Not the best starter rod being lighter and longer, pick up a convergence medium 10-20lb I paid around 75 new for mine great rod for the price, theirs also the Amundson 3113 and trophy xl rods for a good price.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:12:43 AM by zap brannigan »

Outdoorsman

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:21:51 AM »

+1 for the Trophy XL. I learned on the Trophy, and was quite happy with it. 13 feet will get you to throw your line out a little further, but might hinder you in length by being too long while learning. I would stick with an 11'3 or smaller, but that's just my opinion. Tight lines  :)

mvelasco

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »

also a +1 for trophy xl rods. I use the 10ft light action line rating 8-17lb. a beauty to cast and with tax came to about $110. plus over the counter warranty where I bought mine(sea run). if not its a quick turn around because they are located in richmond I believe. line loads nicely with two medium split shots.have hauled in springs and chum with this rod and numerous ho's and pinks.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »

also a +1 for trophy xl rods. I use the 10ft light action line rating 8-17lb. a beauty to cast and with tax came to about $110. plus over the counter warranty where I bought mine(sea run). if not its a quick turn around because they are located in richmond I believe. line loads nicely with two medium split shots.have hauled in springs and chum with this rod and numerous ho's and pinks.
Exact same rod and rating I'm talking about. Same here, chum, springs, coho, pinks, it's seen it all. Great rod for the price.

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 12:38:08 PM »

Check out that fenwick hmx in the buy and sell

westcoastercoho

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »

Thanks for all the replies so far all.  What about action weight?  The rod that my 6500CS sits on is a Steelheader 10'6 Medium-Heavy trigger rod.  Too much rod for pinks and coho, don't know about Steel and larger salmon, but I always feel like I have way way to much rod.  I imagine medium action would be the most versatile, but what about light action for the larger salmon species and steelhead?

Thanks!

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 01:05:51 PM »

For that money I will put in another vote for the Trophy XL mine is the 10-15 lb and I have caught all species on it

westcoastercoho

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »

Got the Aventa and ended up with the 10 foot convergence medium
Action. Feels pretty good so far, can't wait to get the reel spinning. 

Thanks again

zap brannigan

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »

Good choice.

mvelasco

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 12:06:21 AM »

have fun a good fishing! pinning is a blast