Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice needed: Mini-4x4 (Sidekick, Pajero, Rav4 etc)  (Read 8168 times)

Suther

Re: Advice needed: Mini-4x4 (Sidekick, Pajero, Rav4 etc)
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »

JEEP YJ
Not a Tj
I owned a YJ for 7 years, it is extremely reliable and there isn't a single computer in the vehicle and the odometer is not computerized it rolls over it is the easiest vehicle to work on and parts are dirt cheap
It comes as a 4L or 2.5L if your concern is gas mileage don't get the 4L
Guaranteed the best 4x4 vehicle on the planet

They have a computer. Its called the ECM (engine control module) and basically everything has one. Only things that dont are super-old carburated stuff, and you dont want a carburated engine. They are not as efficient as fuel injection, they can't adapt to elevation changes very well, and they only run nicely on relatively flat ground.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 12:04:23 PM »

This is probably untrue.

Cars are typically designed from the factory with cold-air intakes, and then people put big K&N Cones under their hood, thinking it increases power. Long story short, it doesn't. a cone under your hood is sucking in hot air from within the engine compartment, while most stock air intakes draw air from behind the headlight or something similar. These stock intakes are getting much colder air than your K&N cone under the hood ever will.

The reason K&N Filters seem to change something is they kinda suck. They do NOT filter as well as a cheap paper filter, which means more air passes through the filter (and more particles into your engine.) and you have to oil them every so often. That oil gets sucked into your intake and fouls up your Mass Airflow Sensor. So then you have to pull the intake apart and clean that.

Unless you are talking about a REAL cold air intake, using an intercooler. Which is crazy-expensive and not worth it unless you've got a car with boost that really needs that colder, denser air.

as long as a k&n filter is oiled properly it will filter just fine and not cause mass air flow issues. if you dose it in oil yes is will get on your maf sensor. i usually don't recommend aftermarket intakes to customers unless they plan on doing some maintenance. i see alot come through our shop where the customer has never touched it since day one it went on the car and they are plugged solid. whether you are pulling air from the engine bay or a cold source it will not affect power on a naturally aspirated engine. the only time we see power gains from a true cold air intake are on boosted vehicles where cylinder temps are increased from air being forced into the cylinder either by a supercharger or turbo. we have an in house Dyna PAC car dyno in our shop. i have also never seen an intercooler on a non boosted vehicles.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »

Getting a SUV for fishing, I can see the logic behind that. But if you are thinking of going hunting for big game I think you would be pushing it. Going after anything bigger than a deer will be a chore, and with the smaller tires you will eventually get stuck on a backroad. And that could be expensive in trying to get someone to pull you out. Tradeoff would be a Pathfinder or Toyota 4runner as mentioned earlier, or get a small car for getting to places like the Vedder, Harrison; etc. and  then get an older model truck if you will be going hunting on a regular basis, especially big game. Just my two cents on the matter.

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 03:11:03 PM »

I would consider a Subaru station wagon in 4x4.  They are a great vehicle for multipurpose use.  I would stay away from Side Kick and the mini suv's due to short wheel base and narrow body frame.  Seen too many roll overs with those vehicles.  I have owned Toyota 1994 4 Runner standard which was a great vehicle; only downside is gas consumption and a bit tippy on corners. I own a 2005 Toyota Sport 4 Runner with the bigger V6 engine that is better on gas, much more stable and will run forever.  The new body and motor style began in 2003 more money but hold their value and great vehicle.  Love the power/automatic rear window, not the lift up version.  The Nissan XTrail is also one to look at for multi purpose SUV  my daughter in law has one and loves it.  My son and she use it a lot for fishing and off road.  It has proven to be very good vehicle.  The Pathfinder is harder on gas but a great vehicle.  Parts are also more expensive than Toyota.  The Rav4 is worth looking into also.  Number of friends have these and won't give them up. The newer ones have more horse power and bigger interior than the older SUV's . 

Suther

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 03:32:14 PM »

I would consider a Subaru station wagon in 4x4.  They are a great vehicle for multipurpose use.  I would stay away from Side Kick and the mini suv's due to short wheel base and narrow body frame.  Seen too many roll overs with those vehicles.  I have owned Toyota 1994 4 Runner standard which was a great vehicle; only downside is gas consumption and a bit tippy on corners. I own a 2005 Toyota Sport 4 Runner with the bigger V6 engine that is better on gas, much more stable and will run forever.  The new body and motor style began in 2003 more money but hold their value and great vehicle.  Love the power/automatic rear window, not the lift up version.  The Nissan XTrail is also one to look at for multi purpose SUV  my daughter in law has one and loves it.  My son and she use it a lot for fishing and off road.  It has proven to be very good vehicle.  The Pathfinder is harder on gas but a great vehicle.  Parts are also more expensive than Toyota.  The Rav4 is worth looking into also.  Number of friends have these and won't give them up. The newer ones have more horse power and bigger interior than the older SUV's .

Subarus cost a fortune to fix and are hard to find used parts for. Also there are way more pathfinders than Toyota in wreckers, so used parts are available.  Finding used parts for Toyota is easy but expensive because they don't go to the wrecker very often. Instead people who own them part them out before disposing of them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:39:58 PM by Suther »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »

I like my rav4.  Reliable, cheap on gas, able to go on any roads I want to.  Not the best 4x4 in the world but I've never had an issue getting stuck.  If extra storage is needed you can always add a cargo box on top.