Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-tidal Fraser Valley Pink Catch Limits  (Read 6104 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Non-tidal Fraser Valley Pink Catch Limits
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:25:39 AM »

Does anyone know the reason why the limit on the Fraser Valley streams (excepting the Fraser itself) has been set at 2? Previous years it has been 4 particularly with such a huge return this year I thought they might adjust it up to 4. I realize this is whining but 4 is about just right for a smoker load and now I've got to make at least 2 trips for that number.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Non-tidal Fraser Valley Pink Catch Limits
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:44:12 AM »

The unintended consequence of reducing limits from 4 to 2 for Pinks and for stocked lake trout is law abiding citizens take home less fish and leaving more in the water for poachers.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »

Why bother with Pinks? Just go killed your 4 Coho, which are bigger and more desirable.
The Bigger The Better!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 08:49:35 PM »

I do not understand why anyone would feel the need to kill 4 salmon a day, even little pinks.  I was out at the Harrison today and only killed one and that one will feed my entire family of 5.

And holy smokes, the sockeye were biting like crazy, i think i may have stumbled onto something.  i have never caught so many before on the fly, too bad they never opened them, the river is full of them too.  I had a couple of small bright does that I thought must have been little coho, but sure enough they were spotless with a deeply forked tail.  They would take the fly like a pink too, it was quite a day. Boated 4 pinks but had twice as many sockeye.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 08:55:45 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:10:04 PM »

Today, I landed and kept my first pink and it wasn't silver coloured. I wasn't surprised, but a little disappointed that the meat wasn't red in colour. I haven't eaten the fish, but I doubt it would be very good for eating. 

I won't be keeping any more pinks for this season, unless they're fresh and silver coloured.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:23:54 PM »

Today, I landed and kept my first pink and it wasn't silver coloured. I wasn't surprised, but a little disappointed that the meat wasn't red in colour. I haven't eaten the fish, but I doubt it would be very good for eating. 

I won't be keeping any more pinks for this season, unless they're fresh and silver coloured.
Pink salmon meat color is not bright red like coho's.  I have Pinks caught from the ocean that are silver colored but next to the coho meat in the freezer, it's almost like comparing red to white meat.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »

I've had silver coloured pinks and the meat looks quite red when you're cutting it.

Fresh silver coloured pinks still taste better than grey coloured pinks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »

I do not understand why anyone would feel the need to kill 4 salmon a day, even little pinks.

I stated why and taking more than 1 is within the catch limits. In the Fraser - both tidal and non-tidal the limit is 4 as it is in the salt.

I was asking for information not  lectures but that's all I got. Unfortunately that's not surprising on any angling website in 'Beautiful BC", "The Greatest Place on Earth", excepting some of it's citizens. ;D

My family love the taste of pink salmon. I know how to id the one's suitable for table fare. The last couple of weeks I have been catching easily more than 4 silver bright fish with salmon lice on them - each morning on the water.

Cheers & happy fishing.  :-*
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 10:32:04 AM »

If you catch your limit of 4 pinks do you have to stop fishing or can you catch and release more fish ? I know the regs for steelhead but what is the situation with other
species ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 11:02:04 AM »

In Region 2, Steelhead are the only fish that require you to stop fishing that water once hitting your limit.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:06:24 AM by BNF861 »

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 11:07:22 AM »

That's what I thought but a very experienced fellow told me that I had to stop . I can't see anything in the regs and just thought I'd make sure.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 11:14:12 AM »

That's what I thought but a very experienced fellow told me that I had to stop . I can't see anything in the regs and just thought I'd make sure.

So much for him being "very experienced".  ::)

Perfect example of why you should not take the word of another angler and instead, be aware of "ALL" the regs {updated regs too} for the water you choose to fish that day.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »

Just my opinion but I would use some care on that. For instance, if the salmon limit is four and I am having a good day I only keep three fish. That way if I get one that is badly hooked or played too hard I can retain it. Now let us say you keep four salmon and continue to fish. Let us say one of the fish is played too hard or bleeding hard from the hook set and is pretty much dead.  Now if a C.O. sees you that is not going to cut you any slack, he could say you are one over your limit and write you up a ticket. Just my two cents on the matter.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »

I stated why and taking more than 1 is within the catch limits. In the Fraser - both tidal and non-tidal the limit is 4 as it is in the salt.

I was asking for information not  lectures but that's all I got. Unfortunately that's not surprising on any angling website in 'Beautiful BC", "The Greatest Place on Earth", excepting some of it's citizens. ;D

My family love the taste of pink salmon. I know how to id the one's suitable for table fare. The last couple of weeks I have been catching easily more than 4 silver bright fish with salmon lice on them - each morning on the water.

Cheers & happy fishing.  :-*

I don't begrudge anyone retaining their legal limit. What they do with it is their business and nobody else's. I kept my limit earlier in the week and gave one to an elderly neighbour. It was greatly appreciated.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »

Just my opinion but I would use some care on that. For instance, if the salmon limit is four and I am having a good day I only keep three fish. That way if I get one that is badly hooked or played too hard I can retain it. Now let us say you keep four salmon and continue to fish. Let us say one of the fish is played too hard or bleeding hard from the hook set and is pretty much dead.  Now if a C.O. sees you that is not going to cut you any slack, he could say you are one over your limit and write you up a ticket. Just my two cents on the matter.

Bleeders happen, it's too bad but it's all part of the sport.

As far as I know there's nowhere in the regulations where it says you "must" retain a fish because it is bleeding or hooked too bad so I'm kinda thinking what you just posted is redundant and the CO would have to be on glue to right you up for it.

For instance, it would be illegal to keep another fish over your limit {if you had 4 on the rocks already}, you must let it go, dead or alive, crappy but true although and get this, you could STILL commence angling, it's not against the regulations {except for Steelhead as BNF861 has already mentioned}

IMO there's no reason to keep fishing once you have your limit if your intention out there IS to get your limit. If fishing is that good and you want your limit why retain the fish early if you want to fish longer?? The fish will be more fresh if you retain them near the end of your day and you don't have to run into this "problem".

People need to settle down out there and use some common sense instead of going to the flow with a "greed" and "worry about their limit" mentality, it's supposed to be enjoyable, whether you get 10 fish on your line or none.

Beaching everything that gets hooked is just foolish and shows the lack of etiquette in the sport but I guess that's for another topic so......

Like yours, my opinion only.